Which Rock Is Best?

spadge

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

Stupid question time again, besides live rock what other rock are better for cheap aqua scaping? i need to build a scape for which i will pad out with LR but this close after christmas finances are low! i was thinking of lava rock? any reasons why i should/shouldnt? or are there any better looking/cheaper alternatives?

go for what is called reef bones, its live rock that is nolonger alive. what you want is a very porous rock that will allow nitrafying bacteria to set up home.
reef bones are pretty cheap and will become sort of live after a few months.

my LFS has reef bone but they are VERY expensive in fact almost the same as LR, lava rock is very light and porous, hence my thoughts regarding using it, plus its quite brittle so i was hoping to shape it with my dremel, i would love reef bones because once they grow coraline and other algaes i doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. how much are reef bones where you are? i think they were like £8 a kg here i get LR for £10 so not much difference really

No such thing as a stupid question in this hobby ;)

Sorgan is bang on with the suggestion, like he says it will take a good while before it is cured though which is the big downside :unsure:

if you shop around you should get lr for £5 kg , aquarium classifieds ebay etc

sweet, thanks ozzie, yeah the beauty of the LR i get is its cured, in a display tank and you can see all the creepys running around on it before you buy, didnt even think of the classifieds lol ether of you guys used lava rock?

Cleethorpes, uk. pretty much end of line here one way in..... lol so would mean travelling for some rock, ,not that im bothered if price is right

Heres one, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Live-Rock-Marine-Fish-Tank-Setup-Approx-20-25-Kg-/140504036977?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item20b6b17671

Worth the drive!

All mine is figi with a bit of tongan branching

Most reactions

Back