Which is the hardier choice?

lovebuzz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Pygmy cories, or ottos? :D I know they are very different but I like the look but I only want to choose one species because I dont want more than one species of scavenger fish.

I would think that the otos would be easier.

I come to this conclusion because my aunt has an oto with three goldfish in a five gallon tank (I can't dissuade her,so don't harangue me about it :p), whereas I had a corydora in my 45 gallon tank when it was starting to cycle (I would think that the oto has far worse conditions) and teh corydora died after a day and the oto has been alive for months.

This might just be a special case. :dunno:Oh, didn't read the rest. :*) Yeah, they aren't scavenger fish.

And there is really no such thing as a "scavenger" fish, since you should feed them pellets and algae discs to augment the algae they scrape off the decorations and tank sides.

Alright if they arent scavenger fish :D Sorry about that. Still, I need more opinions on which one is hardier.

If it's hardy you are looking for I wouldn't go with either, they're both reputed to be tempermental.

How about shrimps?

I don't know about the cory, but I'm thinking ottos would use up less space/bio load, assuming both are in schools. However, ottos, from what I've heard/ read, are known to be sensitive to water conditions and sudden deaths. I know someone whose ottos all died. But with mine, I didn't really give them any special care, and had even put them in a semicrowded tank for a while, and all are still alive (few months now). Just made sure they had algae, wafers and cucumbers to eat.

Corys are a hardy fish. For those who have had corys die on them, it could have been a bad batch from the LFS.

I have 7 that went through an ammonia spike and a Nitrite spike in my 55 Gallon at one point. They are now in my 125. From the time I purchased them about 4 Months ago I have lost one and the other 7 are doing extremely well.

I agree with enchanted, corys are pretty hardy fish. If you want a clean tank and your tank is at least 3 ft long I'd reccomend a sailfin Plec as a different option. Mine is about 4 years old and has basically cycled all my tank setups, he currently lives in My Mbuna Cichlid tank, you can't get amuch hardier fish than that. Just a thought and they are wonderful looking fish although you can only really have 1 due to their size and nature.

P.S. Make sure you dont buy a common pleco by mistake, they grow to over 1 foot long.

Most corries are indeed quite hardy, but the pygmy corry and 1 of them. This one is concidered quite vulnerable, so are ottos. Personally I've bought 8 ottos of which 7 are still alive. 1 unfortunatly got stuck under a rock. I've heard loads of stories about all ottos as well as pygmy corries dying on people within the first week though.

I think that if you want to go for corries, and your tank size allows it, you're best of going for a bit hardier type. Peppered corries for example.

Ottos will not scavenger at all, they'll just eat the algae. If you want a good algae controll crew, they'll probably be your best bet. Though, a bristlenose plec (smaller staying than a sailfin, which if I remember correctly actually gets quite big) would do the job as well

The key with otos is live algae. If they can get algae they will thrive - algae pellets and the like aren't enough for otos. They need it alive (which is why I am desperately trying to grow algae in a tank so I can get a few otos...).

Either way, otos don't scavenge and pygmy cories spend most of their time in the middle layers so don't scavenge that much realy.

If you are looking for a truly hardy scavenger go for bronze cories or peppered cories. Both are delightful and if you feed them well they'll develop wonderful coloration and live very long, healthy lives.

And bristlenoses only get to around 5 inches. :)

Most reactions

Back