Which Hard Water Fish?

Tiger Tiger

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have tried stacks of ways to bring the hardness down and to be honest i have given up?

Cichlids i know love Hard water but what other fish like it to be on the Hard side?

Any suggestions from Hard water fish keepers :good:

I have tried stacks of ways to bring the hardness down and to be honest i have given up?

Cichlids i know love Hard water but what other fish like it to be on the Hard side?

Anyone give me some fish suggestions that are not cichlids?

Guppies ?

Actually I am in south London so have very similar water to you (kettle makers must love us here), and I have been keeping all sorts of fish with no problem.

Depending on how big your tank is, you could water change with 2/3 RO water and 1/3 tap water (I buy RO water when necessary from the fish shop - there is a nice one in Beckenham), or you can start collecting rainwater.

If you buy the fish locally, they are probably used to the water anyways.

I have kept Cherry Barbs, Neons, RTB Sharks, Cories, Angelfish, Honey Gouramis, Bettas, Clown Loaches, Other Loaches....(ok, not just me, some of these are in my ex's tank, but he lives just round the corner).

The advantage is, that in Kent the water is not quite as full of Nitrates as it is in London, so you might be able to get away with not using RO or Rainwater. I wouldn't try keeping Discus, but apart from that everything else should be ok.

They're a bit tame I guess, but I'm keeping platys, zebra danios, bronze and trilineatus corys in hard water, and they're all doing well. I know other people round here keep silver sharks, mollys, guppies, tiger barbs, and gouramis (I think they're honey gouramis but not sure) successfully in our local hard water. I think also some rainbowfish (e.g. forktail) like hard water but I don't know anyone who keeps them so others might know better. I think a lot of fish will adapt, especially if they've been bred in the local water.

I guess you could always try RO water, mixed with your tapwater, if you want to keep something different?

In addition to the african rift lake cichlids, most livebearers do best in hard water. Mollies especially like their water so hard that people use salt to get them enough minerals in the water. they don't really need salt but it does raise the solids content enough for them to stay healthy.

Can you give actual stats? A lot of South American Cichlids do not like hard water, Africans do though.

Most fish (excluding a few) are fine with a large range of Ph levels.

The water is around 22KH.
I have had milawi's at a previos address wgere the water was neural. I might venture into Tanganyikan but not sure on hardness.

The milawi set up was such a long time ago i forget what i could put with what as being a new address and starting a new tank with completely the opposite almost to water hardness.

Perhaps i should ask in the cichlid section.

I know the orpington shop and pollhill maiden aquatics but the expense they as there is pathetic but they do have a very wide selection

Most reactions

Back