Which Filter Is Best?

CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
I need an external filter for my 125 litre tank. Ive decided that im going to get an Eheim, just because they seem to have little, or no faults with them...
There are a couple of eheims within my tank range, and those are: the EHEIM ECCO 2236, the Eheim classic 2215 and the EHEIM 2224 PROFESSIONAL. The professional is quite abit more money (about £20) but do you think that would give me a much better option? Personally, i think that i should get one of the classics or ecco, simply because they will do their job, and they will do it well, without the extra money, but what do you think?
The ECCO 2236 has 600lph, the classic 2215 has 620lph and the professional 2224 has 700lph. Im looking for the one that will do the job, but is also easy to clean and maintain, and also easy to set-up, as i have never used an external filter before...

Thanks alot, Mikey

IMHO you can't beat the classic, they are... well classic!

The Classic gives you the most bang for your buck, the Pro's give you some convenience features for the increased price. The Ecco is an entry level filter. Setup on all 3 is almost the same, the baskets on the Pro or Ecco make maintenance a little easier.

Classic :good: (given the choice between just those two). But Pro even better. And if price is a concern, just google around. For the extra £20 or £30 to the next step Pro level, it's so worth it. Then there's eBay as well :)

Thanks for the advice :good:
I can get either the ecco and classic delivered for about £70 give or take, and the professional, for about £90...Off ebay.
Are they easy to set-up, the classics? (or any of them for that matter...)

Thanks, Mikey

Setup difficulty depends somewhat on your mechanical ability. They are easier than most shelving units, entertainment centers, or a computer. A small stereo would probably be similar in difficulty. I'm just looking around the room, trying to eyeball different but similar things I've set up. :)

So they're not too hard then...Surrpose there will be a set-up manual too
Are they a seller from ebay cane??? Or just off the internet?

Mikey

I have the Ecco 2236 on my 125, and its an excellent filter, plus with all the extra bits you can get for it bargain central :)

The 2236 is a doddle to setup and also to maintain. simply pull handle down and push in red lever then lift off top. Once open life the basket out and then add your filter material ass appropriate (it comes with 3 boxes of substrat pro), carbon pad, and 3 other pads. Once done replace top connect hoses and pull handle to prime, once full turn pump on and your off.

Cool, might try the ecco then...
Do the hoses reach the two holes on your rio 125, or do you have to put them through just the one hole???

Thanks, Mikey

Just bought a eheim 2026 pro 2 after searching all the canister filter links on this site last week.

Its great, very quite and i have never had such clean water.

will run a tank up to 350l although my tank is only 110l. i am planning for future larger tank.

Many clever features and does what it says on the tin.

I have last months PFK canister review as .PDF if you want it. They review 'eheim ecco' and it came out recommended.

regards

John

Cool, but i think im gonna go with a ecco, but im not even too sure if i need a canister, my filter is handleing the wastes pretty fine....

Mikey

Cool, but i think im gonna go with a ecco, but im not even too sure if i need a canister, my filter is handleing the wastes pretty fine....

Mikey

You get plenty of hose that requires cut, just half it and there is loads. Ive since replaced the shepards crook with a spray bar which ive mounted vertically in the tank, made a massive difference to water movement.

Cool, good to know it will fit :good:
Ive found a site that does the 2217 for £70, so might get that, but i havent got much money ATM, and my filter seems great at the moment.

Thanks, Mikey

I run all my tanks on classic 2217s, to be honest unless you need the extra features of the pro for time saving and convienience then the classic models cannot be beaten.

Most reactions

Back