Which Filter For A 200L Tank (

glasgow

Reaction score
I have a 200l Fluval tank (lightly stocked.). I bought it second-hand with a Interpet EPF 350 external filter. The filter has always leaked quite a bit, and tonight it died. (I suspect water in the motor).

In the meantime, I've put two small internal filters in the tank, stuffed with some of the media, and I've put the rest of the media into the tank to keep it live.

Two questions:

1) Is this the right things to do as an interim measure? I'm intending to order a new filter tonight, but won't have it for a few days.

2) Which filter to order? I note I can buy another Interpet EPF 350 for £60 - that's cheap, and I can simply put the same media back in. However, I found the filter a pain to clean, and ill-fitting, so I'm wondering whether there's a better option (don't want to spend over £100). I've never really had externals before so I'm a bit at sea here. Any advice? The main thing for me is easy of use.

I have a Fluval 306 on a Roma 240 - had no problems, great flow and water is crystal clear. Currently on Amazon for £89.99 - a bargain I think

I've ordered one of theses cheap reviews are good,few reviews on utube aswell worth a look and people say the customer services are great?

Look at this on eBay:

Aquarium External Filter 2000 L / H -With 9W UVC & Free Media - Fish Tank

http://bit.ly/OBnQPs

I've ordered one of theses cheap reviews are good,few reviews on utube aswell worth a look and people say the customer services are great?

Look at this on eBay:

Aquarium External Filter 2000 L / H -With 9W UVC & Free Media - Fish Tank

http://bit.ly/OBnQPs

Nice price, but I can't work out the make to find any reviews

Tetratec ex1200 without a doubt. Rated for tanks of up to 500 litres with a flow rate of 1200lph. Although this will drop to around 940lph when you take the filter media into account. Excellent build quality and performance and only £89 brand new and delivered. The water flow will always drop on every filter to what is stated on the box. "All Pond Solution" filters are by far one of the worst for this.

Iv owned quite a few filters including an all pond solution ef2000 with uv light, a fluval 205, 306, 405, 406, fx5 and now the tetratec ex1200 (which I have 2 of running on my rio 400). IMO the tetratecs are by far the best overall :good:

Thanks folk. I went for the Tetratec in the end. The cheaper APS was tempting, but I want something robust and easy to use.

I've now got my Interpet one working - but it is still pretty knackered, unreliable, and leaks, so happy to replace it. I'm guessing I should cut the media from the existing filter and put it into the new one for a few weeks, and then gradually change to the media designed for the new filter.

Thanks folk. I went for the Tetratec in the end. The cheaper APS was tempting, but I want something robust and easy to use.

I've now got my Interpet one working - but it is still pretty knackered, unreliable, and leaks, so happy to replace it. I'm guessing I should cut the media from the existing filter and put it into the new one for a few weeks, and then gradually change to the media designed for the new filter.

Made the right decision :good: awesome filters. Yes you are right on the media side of it :)

Got my aps filter all set u yesterday must say for £65 it's great quite very powerfull, I've had to use all 3 spray bars and face them up to carm the current, and after 1 day I can see a big improvement and I was running 2 internal filters

Got my aps filter all set u yesterday must say for £65 it's great quite very powerfull, I've had to use all 3 spray bars and face them up to carm the current, and after 1 day I can see a big improvement and I was running 2 internal filters
The flow will soon drop lol although it depends what model you have. I had the 2000EF model on a 180 litre tank and it coped ok. I wouldn't use one for anything larger than 180 litres though

2000ef + on a 175L it's like a wave machine at the min lol way better than my old fluval 405 which cost double

2000ef + on a 175L it's like a wave machine at the min lol way better than my old fluval 405 which cost double
Yea my 2000EF+ was awesome on my vision 180 for a few months but then i did notice a big drop in flow, i rinsed the media and cleaned the pipes but nothing worked... but I wasn't too bothered as it was good for the price compared to the likes of the fluvals and eheim. Personally after using the all pond solutions and nearly all the fluvals out at the moment I wouldn't consider anything other than the tetratec ex1200's. Had them running a few months and I can't fault them :)

The thing that put me off with the tetratec was the mass amounts of bad reviews(google search) about the leaking after 12-14 months ppl having 2 and both starting in the space of 2-3weeks?

The thing that put me off with the tetratec was the mass amounts of bad reviews(google search) about the leaking after 12-14 months ppl having 2 and both starting in the space of 2-3weeks?

There's a 3 year warranty with this. I'll keep my old filter in the attic as a spare in case I need to return the new one under warranty

Most reactions

Back