Which Cory?

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm absolutely pulling my hair out over this one guys and girls, any help given will be greatly appreciated.

When I first built my tank, I was given free an 8kg bag of white gravel, it wasn't soft or smooth and I was given 7 Cory Melini.
I've recently redone the tank, took 12 hours, but done none the less, with play sand from argos (with 15 MTS sifting through it now).
I sold my Melini as they were wild and I didn't think it fair to keep them in my smaller tank, they are currently in my sister's 300L. The other problem I had with them was their availability, when 2 died from swimbladder problems, it took me 3 months to find a replacement, at £8 each.

I'm now on the hunt for some corys. I currently work at a Pet Shop and the only ones we get in are Peppered, Bronze and Albino, pretty much the basic 3.
However, I want a cory that would ideally get no bigger than 2 inches, possibly 6cm at a push and that aren't black and white.
I've recently upgraded the filter to an Interpet EPF150 so there's masses of filtration, and I've also redone the hardscaping to provide more hiding spaces and swimming space at the same time.

I really wanted Pygmy corys, but they're like gold-dust round here, the only shop that did have them mislabelled them as Hastatus. I would even settle for Hasbrosus if I could find any.

In a nutshell:
Name me a small, common, interesting looking cory that wont cost me a fortune.
Ordering online is out of the question as £30 for 7 corys is a tad excessive.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the peppered, because they're smaller than bronze and look interesting, but information on sizes is so inaccurate on the web. My Melini grew to 7cm each, not the 4.5 on Planet catfish.

Edit: I should also add, although the tank is 64L, it is much longer than others on the market, but makes up by being smaller in width.

How about the corydoras trilineatus? Very cute and they will grow to about 5cm i think.
Also the panda corys will grow to about the same size.

Are you in the UK?

The corydoras trilineatus was the first one we got it was a few months back but he was only about £3ish.

We bought a corydoras habrosus yesterday for £1.50.

Are you in the UK?

The corydoras trilineatus was the first one we got it was a few months back but he was only about £3ish.

We bought a corydoras habrosus yesterday for £1.50.

Ah excellent, I like that price, the Meleni were £6-8 each.

I really think it depends where you are as to how much they are, might need to browse around and also see if anyone can order in for you x

When i originally bought my trilineatus (mislabelled julli) they cost me £5 each,my arcuatus(skunks) were £5 each and the pygmys(mislabelled habrosus) were £4.50.

Has Amy said it depends where you live and which lfs you visit has they all vary on price :rolleyes:

Hi VaegaVic :)

C. trilineatus (sold as C. julii), C.metae (bandits) and C. panda are about the most frequently found and inexpensive corys beside the ones you mentioned. Both do well in peaceful community tanks.

C. hastatus, C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus are the dwarf species that are sometimes available. If you like one of the species, you will most likely be just as happy with any of the others, so give them a chance if they are available.

If you are looking for something with a little more color, C brevirostris and C. similis are just slightly larger (at 2.4") and are occasionally found at the lfs. Their price should not be much higher than that of the basic three you spoke of.

Some cories do better at certain temperatures then others, you may want to consider this depending on your other stock. I think e.g. Discus need warmer water so Sterbai are normally recommended (not sure about this tho).

Sterbai are so cute and differant looking. But are not cheap.

Peppered corys are not small. I have seen some big ones 3".I would go with the bronze they come in differant shades and get to be 2".

One of the advantages of sterbai is that they are OK in a tank at 26C or even a little more. That is a rare ability among the Corydoras genus. They are the ones used most often with rtuly warm water tropicals like discus, because it doesn't hurt them. A trilineatus at 26C is struggling on the edge of its tolerance.

One of the advantages of sterbai is that they are OK in a tank at 26C or even a little more. That is a rare ability among the Corydoras genus. They are the ones used most often with rtuly warm water tropicals like discus, because it doesn't hurt them. A trilineatus at 26C is struggling on the edge of its tolerance.

Haha, I don't know where this 26C came from, my tank is always maintained at 24.5
Thanks for the info everyone, Trils seem to be the way to go for me, I shall contact my LFS on Sunday (as I work tommorow) and see if he can put any aside for me.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back