Where To Get Hatchets?

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have never seen them in an lfs? how much do they normally cost you?? I really like the look of marbled hatchets but have never seen them :(

In my 6ft tank, and I'll wager I'd be safe saying "if you can catch them, you can have them" :lol:

I got mine from the lfs, they are marbled hatchets and they are way cool, but they are totally suicidal, if there's any way they can get out and die, they'll find it. Tight lid and check your nets after you've been in the tank for any reason if you get them.

For some reason you couldn't catch one if your life depended on it if you were trying to catch one, but we have accidentally caught them twice now and found them dead in the net at a later date :-(

Hey, You can buy marbled hatchets at Ultimate Aquatics in Cupar for £2.50 each. :D

I got my marbled hatchets from dobbies garden centre i think. Cost me £3.20 each if i can remember correctly. They only had three in for some reason though, now i have two. They will find the smallest gap possible and somehow mange to jump through it.

I've been thinking of getting some also. I would have to order them myself. All of my LFSs have told me they have ordered them, but none are coming in.

It's worth mentioning that marble hatchets are the smaller of the common species and also the more delicate. Silver hatches are more robust, even aggressive, and will chase one another quite a bit. They are also somewhat midwater fish, and mine stay about 10-15 cm below the water surface. Silver hatchets get to about 6 cm or so in length, so they're more like tiger barbs in size that neon tetras. Spotted hatchets are even bigger, about 9 cm, but they seem the least common. Very nice fish though.

Cheers,

Neale

cool, thanks.

nmonks are you saying that silver hatchets are as aggressive as tbs? or that they are as lively? it's just i did have tbs but they became too aggressive even in a group of 12+.

thanks for the info!

I was also thinking about getting halfbeaks. What do you think: halbeaks or hatchets?

Sometimes there is a dry spell and no one will have hatchets (specially marbles) in stock but if you can find some then thats great. Persoanlly i would go with hatchets and not half beaks.

I really like the look of marbled hatchets but have never seen them :(
You buy them at the hardware store of course! They aren't too exciting to watch in my opinion. :-

MarbleHatchet.jpg

Silver hatchets are aggressive somewhat towards one another, especially when kept in small groups. They ignore their tankmates and don't nip fins. Their aggression is limited to chasing one another around the tank. A lot of schooling fish are like this. The solution is simply to keep a reasonable number of specimens, at least 6. But I have three in my tank, and apart from their chases, they are harmless and likeable fish.

They mix fine with halfbeaks. I wouldn't trust them not to eat halfbeak fry, but otherwise the two get along well. I happen to be a fan of halfbeaks because they have such lively (even violent!) personalities. They are very entertaining fish.

Cheers,

Neale

nmonks are you saying that silver hatchets are as aggressive as tbs? or that they are as lively? it's just i did have tbs but they became too aggressive even in a group of 12+.

I was also thinking about getting halfbeaks. What do you think: halbeaks or hatchets?

They mix fine with halfbeaks. I wouldn't trust them not to eat halfbeak fry, but otherwise the two get along well. I happen to be a fan of halfbeaks because they have such lively (even violent!) personalities. They are very entertaining fish.

Halfbeaks seem perfect for me, especially Nomorhamphus liemi because my pH is 6.5 and my water is soft.
they are not put out by high nitrate levels.

My tap-water has high nitrates(although i suspect even higher in my tank because I'm over stocked :( ). I really don't want to have to use ro water, so halfbeaks sound even better :) .

Most reactions

Back