Where Do People Buy Their Shrimp From? (Leicester, Uk)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbenbow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to get some shrimp (ideally Red Cherry Shrimp) for our tank (currently have Danio's and some live plants in - so thought RCS would be good and also not likely to get eaten by the Danio's!)

Looking at the price of shrimp in my LFS they are £4 or £5 for 2 (either Yamato/Amano or Red Cherry) - which I thought was a bit "ouchy" for shrimp.

Where do other people buy their shrimp from and how much do you tend to pay? (eg LFS chain, LFS independant, online, etc..)?

ps - If there is anyone in Leicester who has recently had a Shrimp population explosion, I would happily take (collect) some of them for you
yes.gif

£4 or £5 for two is pretty average, if not good! At PetsAtHome they sell Yamato shrimp for £2.99 each. I paid nearly £6 for two cherry shrimp at my local petshop. It's also the same price for them at my LFS so if I bought 4 cherry shrimp, it would cost about £12. Make sure you have lots of plants/hiding places for the shrimp. They also may take a few days to settle in, mine did and I think they moulted in the first week I had them. Also if you go online you can find some better deals like 10 for £20 or something.

I've bought all my shrimp from www.easishrimp.co.uk so far. They do RCS at £1.40 each. But, the delivery is extra and might not net you any great saving. AJ from easishrimp is very helpful, though.

Kesgrave Tropicals through ebay might be worth a try, too. They're a bit more expensive on shrimp, but, slightly cheaper delivery, although the service isn't just quite as good. 

I've seen them quite cheap on eBay, 10 for £20 and 20 for £30 but have never ordered any so far

Yeah, I usually get my RCS from maidenhead Aquatics, not the cheapest at £2.50 each and if you buy more in one go often works a bit cheaper, but last time I asked for 10 RCS for £20 and the guy there put in 14 RCS and a free moss ball!

So some LFS will give you a few extra if they know you and if they have plenty in stock.

levahe said:
I've seen them quite cheap on eBay, 10 for £20 and 20 for £30 but have never ordered any so far
Yes I have seen these too!

Ellieabbott4 said:
I've got some red cherry shrimp for sale. 50p each
Whereabouts are you? Or will you ship?

I'm in haverhill Suffolk. Yep I'm willing to ship as long as postage costs are covered as well

Most reactions

Back