When To Add Fish To New Tank

scoobyandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all

I have got an old biorb tank that i am replacing, and have 2 goldfish in it. I have set new tank up now and been running with oxygen and filter on for 3 days. When can i transfer the fish over to the other tank?

Thanks in advance

Do you have the old filter media in the new or old tank? If it's in the old tank still then just move it to the new filter and add the fish at the same time. If it was put in the new filter already though it's surely killed all the bacteria on it since there was nothing for the bacteria to survive on. If that's the case, then you'll need to recycle your tank before you add the fish or get some Biospira to add at the same time as your fish.

Do you have the old filter media in the new or old tank? If it's in the old tank still then just move it to the new filter and add the fish at the same time. If it was put in the new filter already though it's surely killed all the bacteria on it since there was nothing for the bacteria to survive on. If that's the case, then you'll need to recycle your tank before you add the fish or get some Biospira to add at the same time as your fish.

Ok, im totally lost, im new to all this fish stuff

The old tank is still working with the fish in it, the new tank has the new filters in that came witht he tank when i got it.
The guy at my LFS said can move stright over as only goldfish and not tropical.

i belive the size to be of 30lts

The filter form the old tank is not going to fit in the new one as a totally diffrent design. should of said all this on first post, sorry.

The fish are 2 gold fish not sure what they are called, but have fan tales and there eyes stand out

Them being coldwater fish really don't matter. Can you take the filter media (the white or blue spongy stuff) from the old filter and stuff it into the new filter in any way? That will clone your tank, so you won't need to cycle it.
I know goldfish will usually do ok in an uncycled tank, but it really is best for them if you can clone it. I'm sure it's no fun living through all the ups and downs of ammonia and nitrite and all that.

I do have to warn you though that telescope goldfish will grow to big for a 30litre. Generally speaking, its 20gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 for every one after that, with telescope goldfish i wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 20gal long tank absolute minimum. The goldfish could also posibly celestial eye goldfish, another type of fancy goldfish with very large sticking out eyes- scoobyandy you should check out pics of such fish on google to ID them. The majority of fancy goldfish will grow to 6-8inches long.

Your just full of cheer today aren't you tokis? :lol: However he is right. Consider upgrading the tank if you can as its a bit small for telescopes.

Your just full of cheer today aren't you tokis? :lol: However he is right. Consider upgrading the tank if you can as its a bit small for telescopes.

Lol :lol: ("she" by the way ;) ), i guess i should lighten/cheer up a bit, its just getting across the facts is important too :good: .

Most reactions

Back