• White Skirt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SneakBetta

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I got this list from a website so sorry if there's anything wrong with them.

Anyways, I like Black neons the most! :nod:

I'm pretty sure piranhas aren't tetras specifically, or pacus, which are a close relative... I may be wrong however. Anyway I chose cardinal tetras. Oh yeah and you missed bleeding-heart tetras those are pretty cool.

Provided you keep lemons in the right kinda tank, eg with lots of plants they will reward you with showing you their true colours!!!

Not to mention they have great personalities! :D :thumbs:

I voted Congo.

Pacu's and Piranha are Characins just like all the other fish on the list. Whether they could be called Tetras is arguable. For many years, a large number of Characins were lumped together in the genus Tetragonopterus, (there were also genera within the family Characinidae called Tetrafonopterus and Tetragibioterys - but Tetragonopterus was the largest). The common name comes from a shortening if that.

As the classification was refined, many fish were assigned to other genera, but the name by then was established.

Tetrafonopterus ocellifer -> Hemigrammus ocellifer -> Beacon
Tetragonopterus ulreyi -> Hyphessobrycon heterohabdus -> Belgian Flag

etc. etc.

Since these fish are no longer in one of the "tetra" genera, one could argue they are no longer "tetras", but at least they were at some point. That is not the case with Pacu's or Piranha.

There are very few fish left in the "real" tetra genera now. The only one seen in the trade, (and that is rarely), is T. argenteus, the "Big-Eye Tetra" or "Silver tetra". There is a picture of one here.

Wow, i never knew how many differnt types of tetras there are, i myself had a 75g full of neons, red eye, black windows, and a couple of others, im talking there were about 100 it looked pretty cool.

The list at the top is a very small proportion of the characins! There are hundreds of "tetras"!

Lateral Line said:
I voted Congo.

Pacu's and Piranha are Characins just like all the other fish on the list. Whether they could be called Tetras is arguable. For many years, a large number of Characins were lumped together in the genus Tetragonopterus, (there were also genera within the family Characinidae called Tetrafonopterus and Tetragibioterys - but Tetragonopterus was the largest). The common name comes from a shortening if that.

As the classification was refined, many fish were assigned to other genera, but the name by then was established.

Tetrafonopterus ocellifer -> Hemigrammus ocellifer -> Beacon
Tetragonopterus ulreyi -> Hyphessobrycon heterohabdus -> Belgian Flag

etc. etc.

Since these fish are no longer in one of the "tetra" genera, one could argue they are no longer "tetras", but at least they were at some point. That is not the case with Pacu's or Piranha.

There are very few fish left in the "real" tetra genera now. The only one seen in the trade, (and that is rarely), is T. argenteus, the "Big-Eye Tetra" or "Silver tetra". There is a picture of one here.
Lol I was just going by the logic that piranhas and pacus didn't have tetra in their name.. and that they aren't small peaceful schooling fish like most tetras you see. Anyway thanks for the essay that really cleared that up for me.

(If I'm sounding sarcastic sorry, I'm really being genuine)

You do not have Rosy tetra on the list either, these are beautiful high finned tetra and the males especially 'sail' around the tank they are enchanting to watch

I ticked Black Phantoms because they are just as outstanding, but a slightly smaller and the males being black are far more regal but dont catch your eye like the Rosy's do

rosy.jpg

I voted for rummynose cause they're GORGEOUS. I love em. The only tetras I own, though, are glowlights. They're great, but they're not quite rummynoses :)

i voted black phantom. cool name, excellent hardy fish.

I think the poll might be missing lampeye tetras. maybe I just didn't see it :rolleyes:

I love emperor tetras . . . they have such beautiful coloration and body shape. :wub:

Mmm . . . but I also like ember tetras a lot because of their small size (3/4 inch max), stunning yellow/crimson color, and their playfulness. It seems to me they act just like serpae tetras but are too small to hurt anyone. :D Also a great "dither" fish-- their presence gave my ram a lot of confidence. :D

Most reactions

Back