Whats Wrong With This Platy? (Picture)

MicroBex

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can identify what's wrong with my platy? It's a mature male in a well established tank. No new fish, but I did a routine water change last weekend. It looks a little bloated, but the weirdest part are its scales - which are all spiked out. Can anyone identify the problem and/or the cure?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• platy.jpg
    platy.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 71
It has dropsey sadily :(

Their are many factors to what cause it so it's impossible to say what has. It's a water imbalance and the body has absorbed to much water
Personally would treat with melifix and do 2-3 30% water changes over the next week.
Salt may help but not all fish like this so using another tank to treat would be best.

Yes deffinitly dropsey as helterskelter said, I and he knows this by the bloatedness, and the pineconing of the scales, without medical treatment the fish will die so I would recommending getting the medications helterskelter recommended.

Hope she or he gets better. :good:

Saying dropsy is like saying pneumonia. It merely describes the symptom, not the actual disease. As HelterSkelter said, it can be caused by many different things and can be very hard to properly diagnose and treat. What works this time will likely not work next time because you will be seeing similar symptoms caused by a different problem.

Hi, thanks to all three of you! I've done two water changes and he picked up a bit. Still bloated though, so I wont hold my breath! What a shame :(

in my experiance, once the fish has sticking out scales, its gonna die ad nothing to save it. cus the kidneys are gone at this point. a lot of this is caused by bad water quality.

Dropsy for sure, unfortunately. Keep the water as clean as possible, and just wait and see over the next few days. If it starts to look worse then the best thing you can do is put it to sleep quickly yourself. Fingers crossed

Dropsy for sure, unfortunately. Keep the water as clean as possible, and just wait and see over the next few days. If it starts to look worse then the best thing you can do is put it to sleep quickly yourself. Fingers crossed

Agree completely. It happened to me a few weeks back.

Most reactions

Back