What’s the coolest place you’ve travelled to?

Kenya or South Africa. Visited one for my honeymoon, the other for my 30th birthday, both incredible. Thinking though Italy comes a close second. Visited it a few times and love it.

I spent a week on an uninhabited Indian Island called Lakshwadweep.
A very tranquil unspoiled place, it just had wood huts - 12 with bedrooms and bathrooms for the guests, one large one for the restaurant, one small one by the beach for the bar and one for the massage/spa. There was a lagoon at the centre of the island.
The days were spent sunbathing and going out on the dive boat. We got our scuba diving qualifications and encountered many fishes, sharks, rays, eels and corals on the reef.
It took an hour to walk around the island. At night it had bioluminescence plankton which appeared like tiny blue lights in the water. One night a sea turtle came ashore and laid her eggs 😍
1644946470557.png

Last edited:
I spent a week on an uninhabited Indian Island called Lakshwadeep.
A very tranquil place, it just had wood huts - 12 with bedrooms and bathrooms for the guests, one large one for the restaurant, one small one by the beach for the bar and one for the massage/spa.
The days were spent sunbathing and going out on the dive boat. We got our diving qualifications and encountered many fishes, sharks, rays and eels.
It took an hour to walk around the island. At night it had bioluminescence plankton which appeared like tiny blue lights in the water. One night we were there a sea turtle came ashore and laid her eggs 😍
View attachment 154689
WOW! So awesome! Out of curiosity (you dont have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable saying) how much did it cost to stay on an island like that?

WOW! So awesome! Out of curiosity (you dont have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable saying) how much did it cost to stay on an island like that?
We're not rich, most of the costs were the flights - long haul to mainland India and then a little twin rota plane over to the islands - that had amazing aerial views of the fish and turtles in the turquoise shallow water around the white sands of the islands. We had to get a permit to visit which was tricky (only very few are issued to preserve the reefs) but the cost was minimal for the permit.
The staff were very pleased that Richard Gere had once stayed there.

Got invited to go on an extended trip in Jewel cave in South Dakota. The trip covered most of the historical routes in the cave and some of the newly discovered passages. Typically the National Parks service doesn't allow trips off the normal guide routes so being able to tie in with the University of Denver was a great opportunity to see the atypical crystals in that cave. Unfortunately there is a lot of manganese in the cave making the mud very black. Got kicked out of a laundry mat because we were bringing in too much dirt.

I also got to bottom Yorkshire Pot in the Ptolomy /Andy Good Plateaus, BC Alberta Border, a researcher from McMaster was doing some hydrological surveys, he provided the ropes for the 500+ feet of vertical passage for the entrance series. We were cheap labor but also did get to survey new passages in the lower reaches of the cave. This is particularly special to me because the cave isn't rigged very often, and I will never be able to return because honestly I am now too heavy, have an artificial hip, and heart issues, the trip was about all I could do when I only weighed 165 lbs, and was in my prime. Checked to see what was online for this cave and found this. https://books.google.ca/books?id=AF...e&q=cave surveys canada yorkshire pot&f=false starts on page 63. I am still listed as one of the surveyors.

Only brought back survey notes for either trip.

I have a go-back ...

Two day hike through The Narrows in Zion National Park.

Freezing cold water that you must walk through as in many places there is no bank, miles of slippery rocks, wading chest deep through pools with backpacks overhead. Very challenging, and breathtaking.

I went to a small village in Mexico only accessible by boat called Jélàpá. Really fun place to be. Locals are nice, and they have a beautiful village. There is a waterfall at the top of the village. I also went to Central America. Beautiful place. I was only 7 at the time. I think it was Belize or El Salvador. My parents planned a trip to Europe, but Covid ruined it.

I may be able to go to Ireland for soccer. I play competitive soccer at a high level, and my club is taking a trip to Ireland…of course we would have to pay and stuff, but I could play against some really good Irish teams.

I have a go-back ...

Two day hike through The Narrows in Zion National Park.

Freezing cold water that you must walk through as in many places there is no bank, miles of slippery rocks, wading chest deep through pools with backpacks overhead. Very challenging, and breathtaking.
Where is Zion National Park located?

It’s hard for me to pick just one. In the running:

The “old city” of Jerusalem—such an amazing mix of religions and cultures. The sights, sounds, and smells were intoxicating.

The abandoned city of Petra in Jordan—it’s an ancient city carved into the red desert rock. Need I say more?

The city of Delphi in Greece—beautiful mountain setting with ruins of the most well respected Pagan oracle in the world and the temple of Apollo. You could feel the spirituality in the air.

Carcassone in France—a delightful medieval village preserved in time (except now just for tourism)

Venice—riding down the canals is just magical. A city whose streets are waterways and history is at every turn. The amount of artwork in museums and churches is astounding, even for Italy. Some people find the elegant decay disappointing. I found it charming.

Where is Zion National Park located?
SW Utah, USA

The key is that it is a LONG way from anywhere so quite pristine, at least in the backcountry. You also need a permit, and there are just a few months to hike the Narrows due to flash flooding. The river can rise literally hundreds of feet up sheer rock walls since the canyon in places is only a dozen or so yards wide. There is no way out other than the trailhead and the exit.

The city of Delphi in Greece—beautiful mountain setting with ruins of the most well respected Pagan oracle in the world and the temple of Apollo. You could feel the spirituality in the air.
+1 For Delphi

Did you get to meet Nick from Chicago?, featured on the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith).

Pro tip - don't drink Ouzo with the locals prior to touring the Oracle ruins

Most reactions

Back