What's The Best Sand

Kitty_Nin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As title, what is the best sand or substrate for cories (pygmy, specifically) and plants as well? I've never used sand before but am planning to use it in my new 10 gallon when I get it set up, and was looking for recommendations. I'm more fond of darker substrates, I feel my fish look better against them.

If you want the best of the best, go with black flourite sand from seachem, I hear so many good things about it. it is an excellent substrate for your plants with plants in mind and the pygmies will love any sand smooth as well as feeling more at home with the darker substrate.

BD Trading sand is proper aquatic sand that won't compress and go anerobic. Play sand may if not stirred up and agitated regularly depending on grain size.

I can't find either the black flourite from seachem or BD trading in my area... However I did find Black Diamond Blasting sand.. no idea if this would be okay or not though.

I can't find either the black flourite from seachem or BD trading in my area... However I did find Black Diamond Blasting sand.. no idea if this would be okay or not though.

Hi Kitty_Nin :)

If you can't find a dark sand that is specifically intended for aquarium use, I would recommend sticking with the regular play sand that can be found at most home improvement stores. Blasting sand is intended to be used as an abrasive and is not safe for the delicate barbels of corydoras. Play sand, on the other hand, is intended for use in toddlers' sand boxes and is safe for young children's skin.

I've seen it in a variety of different shades from cream to tan but never black. Corydoras will stir the top level but to avoid compacting, don't make it deeper than necessary and just give it a stir with your fingers when you do your routine water changes.

Thanks guys! I actually might use Tahitian Black Moon Sand... I found it pretty cheap online!

Most reactions

Back