Whats The Best Fish Store You Have Been To And Tell Why

Q.S.S. in Bradford West Yorkshire.
Why... because the owner is a knowledgeable aquarist.

DI Tropicals in Lossiemouth, NE Scotland.

They have a guy in there who knows a good deal on fish.
They have coldwater, tropicals and salt water fish.
Their tanks are immaculate and all fish look to be in good health. They wouldn't sell me a couple of swortails because they said they were unwell. looking at the fish, I could not see signs of disease or ill health.

They give great advice, they're very helpful and nice and prices are average.
I love going to their shop...only prob is that it takes an hours drive from where I live.
I asked them if they would open a shop in the city where I live as they have a lot of customers that take the drive over but the rates are too expensive where I stay.
Bummer.

Update:

Wharf Aquatics - Pinxton. Best ever shop I have visited, here is the short write-up I posted in the Catfish section:

"I have been to Wharf Aquatics (when I was outside I thought it was tiny!), and it was massive inside with different sections for hardware, frozen foods, tropical, coldwater and ponds, marine, and reptiles! I end up buying my 3 extra bronze corys (1 definate female within the 3). I also purchased to thin catfish that have been described as 'Snail Eaters', I will try and get a picture up for identification later.

My only other purchase was 2 Rams, we were told by knowledgeable staff that the species we purchased will grow to no more than 3-5 inches, and is a community fish.

They had a few Gold Nugget Plecs in stock, but they ranged for £26.50 for a small upto £40 for a 5". I refuse to pay prices like that, So I think the £26.00 for a large from my LFS is a better deal. :)

I recommend anyone to make the trip to Wharf Aquatics, it really is a great day out and all the fish are healthy. The staff have great knowledge on all the fish (one man was taking a college course on Aquatics in general). The only problem I found was they had an 18" Pleco in a 2 foot tank and its tail was curled up against the glass, however the staff all assured me it was only a temporary home.

Definately the best Fish Suppliers I have ever visited, they gets a big :thumbs: up!"

:)

Great, i might make a trip some time then, thanks for the update.

For me the best pet store i visited was Bioresearch. they sell all sorts of puppy and fish.
they even teach us how to maintain our fish pond and taking care of our fish.
______

I wish I could add a place to this list, but unfortunatly I can't.
All of the ones around us are bad even the LFS that SHOULD be good but well.. isn't.

My favourite fish shop tha I have been to is Pier. I feel like a kid in a sweet shopin there with an inadeqqquate bank account!! great selection of oddballs etc

My favourite local shop is Andys Aquatics in New Ferry

just so you know its 3 years old

I do love a trip to Wharf aquatics. They keep their bettas in small glass cubes and they do have a few large specimens in small tanks, but there's a sign saying they're all from people who had to give them up as they grew bigger than they thought they would.
They know about fishless cycling and let me have some mature media.
They have a fab array of bogwood and rocks and some great plants too. If I ever get a big tank, I'll be using them for a nice stand :)
Since I bought my tank a few weeks ago, I have trawled every LFS I can find! My faves in the Notts area are MH@the Dukeries, Timmermans@Woodborough and, the best IMO, MH@Trowell.
That said, I haven't bought any fish yet, but these are the shops I'll be getting them from.

I second BigC,

QSS on wakefield road in bradford. All new fish are quarantined, poorly fish are quarantined and clearly marked not for sale.

They have a great choice of wierd and wonderful fish that I havent seen anywhere else and have been running for 35 years.

Andy

being new to this, I have done most of the lfs in the midlands, best shop i have found by a long way sweet knowle aquatics its just the other side of stratford-upon-Avon, v helpfull,well presented,loads of choice, lots and lots of plecs. :cool:
also A&D Aquatics Oldbury V.good Also

My favourite fish shop tha I have been to is Pier. I feel like a kid in a sweet shopin there with an inadeqqquate bank account!! great selection of oddballs etc

would that be in wigan. is a great place was in there yesterday only thing i dont like is male bettas in bags floating but normally they're in tiny perspex tanks

would that be in wigan. is a great place was in there yesterday only thing i dont like is male bettas in bags floating but normally they're in tiny perspex tanks

thats the oe superb place, been a whiole since I've been. Need the wife to go out all day!!

Most reactions

Back