Whats The Best External Filter?

stevek77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all,
im looking to buy an external filter but i need a half decent one this is what im looking for before i buy,

1, NO LEAKS from seals,

2, Must be quiet operation,

3, Suitable for 150 ltrs,

4, Easy clean i.e priming,

5, Reliable,

6, budget of £100ish,

so come on peeps what should i get :unsure:

hi all,
im looking to buy an external filter but i need a half decent one this is what im looking for before i buy,

1, NO LEAKS from seals,

5, Reliable,

6, budget of £100ish,

I would suggest This Eheim as i have the thermo version and they are very quiet and easy to both clean and prime, plus it goes upto 250lts which gives you some expandability.

I have an eheim classic, the 2215 or 2217 would be fine on your tank. Can't hear it in the cabinet, zero problems, called classic for a reason.

I'm in the same situation. I've got a 150 Litre tank and need an external filter. I'm looking at getting a Fluval 206 or even a 306 if the price is right but the 206 version is/was only about £55 on zooplus.co.uk but last time I checked it I couldn't find it on there

I'm in the same situation. I've got a 150 Litre tank and need an external filter. I'm looking at getting a Fluval 206 or even a 306 if the price is right but the 206 version is/was only about £55 on zooplus.co.uk but last time I checked it I couldn't find it on there

i,ve heard the fluvals leak dont know if it applies to every fluval tho?

hi all,

1, NO LEAKS from seals,

5, Reliable,

6, budget of £100ish,

I would suggest This Eheim as i have the thermo version and they are very quiet and easy to both clean and prime, plus it goes upto 250lts which gives you some expandability.

i was looking at them but the thermal version that you have is it any good? im guessing u can then do away with the tank heater? if so are they worth the extra money?

I have a Fluval 205 and have had no problems with it leaking or making noise at all. My only negative is that it can be a right PITA to get going again if air gets into the system. Don't know if that's Fluvals in general or whether I just got a bad one.

I hear good things about TetraTec filters, but can't tell you any more than that.

I have a Fluval 205 and have had no problems with it leaking or making noise at all. My only negative is that it can be a right PITA to get going again if air gets into the system. Don't know if that's Fluvals in general or whether I just got a bad one.

I hear good things about TetraTec filters, but can't tell you any more than that.

I fancy getting a TetraTec but not sure which 1 would be best suited for a 150 Litre tank.

Eheim Ecco Pro 2234. I've had my two for a year and they have never leaked a drop, silent operation, easy to clean and prime, go a long time before needing a clean, 3 year warranty, they keep my NH3 at 0.001 and Eheim have an excellent reputation.

I have recently brought the aquis 750 very quiet and easy to maintain

Fluval, Eheim and TetraTec all have pretty good reputations. Eheim probably has the best but are also the most expensive usually.

APS are indeed good value - but the flow rate is questionable, with many reporting that it's nowhere near what is reported on the box (there's a thread on here somewhere where people were finding it only produced 50% of the stated flow).

personally id go for eheim or tetratec if you have the money for 1, i currently have a APS one not too bad a little on the loud side tho

The Eheim filters just seem confusing to me. Not the actually filters themselves but which filter would suit my tank best. I had a look on their website earlier on today and just seen loads of different types such as thermo filters, ecco filters and professional filters so didn't know which ones done what :S :S :S :S ????

thermo filters have a built in heater, the ecco's are small canisters and the professional come in 1,2 and 3. pro3 being the latest ones.

is your tank planted? if your aiming for the 10x rule you want a 2074,2076,2078, 28080,2180 etc, but they are big and quite expensive. if not after that much turnover go for a 2073 or 2075 i just picked one up on ebay used for £50. if you go on zooplus.de (make sure use german site) you can get a brand new 2075 with media for £130 which is a bargain as you get a 1st time buyer discount.

Most reactions

Back