Whats Better Black Or White Sand

lewis burnett

Reaction score
HI, IM STUCK BETWEEN WHETHER I SHOULD PURCHASE BLACK OR WHITE SAND. I WAS WONDERING DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OF THESE AND WHICH ONE WORKS BEST. ALSO WHAT COLOUR BACKGROUND SHALL I PUT WITH IT. I NEARLY BROUGHT THE CARIBSEA WHITE SAND OF SEAPETS. IS TAHT ANY GOOD ?

I have play sand and it looks good with a black background.

I think black sand and a black background with bright green plants and colourful fish/shrimp looks good. (that there is my next tank - minus the fish)

I use black gravel,makes the fish look better but white sand makes the tank look better...reflects the light more.

White sand + blue background looks a nicer feature,black gravel and dark background = fish look better.

In a previous fish tank i had black gravel & a black background & it looked great, defo brings the colour of the fish out & looked quite natural for them.
My other previous tank had sand & a blue background which was bright & clear.
2 of my current tanks both have play sand ( as of this morning ) i just need to sort out the backings for them now.

Some of it will depend on the fish. There are certain fish, such as rainbowfishes and some tetras, that seem to be much more colorful with dark substrates.

I have play sand and it looks good with a black background.

I think black sand and a black background with bright green plants and colourful fish/shrimp looks good. (that there is my next tank - minus the fish)

I've got black gravel (very fine almost like sand) with some green plants and a black background also im putting kribs in there when theyre in spawning mode they can be really colourful

I'd go for the play sand, it has a more natural colour

If you go for pure white sand, i'll put my money on the fact that it would be more a shade of green or brown in a matter of weeks. I nearly always use natural sand or silver sand, beach coloured type stuff or dark grey fine gravel or at largest, the natural 'nordic gravel' fine grade.

Black sand all the way - it disguises a lot of the fish poop until you do your next vac. Lighter coloured sand highlights the poop!

I find any black substrate really highlights whatever plants and fish you may have.

Once you go black, you never go back! :rofl:

I find that the black or white sand being better depends to a large extent on the color o fthe fish being put into a tank. Strongly dark colored fish look better in a white background while darker colored fish look better in a light colored background or substrate.

Most reactions

Back