Whats Best For Caves...................

wetdog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
...........what is the best[cheapest] option for caves etc?
i have been looking around now for a couple of weeks and plant pots are a bit boring. seen some cracking stuff in the pound shop, but they smell badly of chemicals so i wont be using those, had some in water for a week now and still stink.
maybe coconut shells!, how do you prepare them?. i would like something a bit different really without breaking the bank, hobbies dont have to be expensive :good:

Ta,
mick.

...........what is the best[cheapest] option for caves etc?
i have been looking around now for a couple of weeks and plant pots are a bit boring. seen some cracking stuff in the pound shop, but they smell badly of chemicals so i wont be using those, had some in water for a week now and still stink.
maybe coconut shells!, how do you prepare them?. i would like something a bit different really without breaking the bank, hobbies dont have to be expensive :good:

Ta,
mick.

i dont know how big a cave youre looking for, but coconut caves work well for smaller fish. my betta loves it. you dont even have to make them yourself, i bought mine from a pet store not too long ago (petsmart).

Garden slates from your garden center, break them up and pile them into a cave like feature.

A plain coconut cave is fairly easy to do. You can cut it in half and cut out a door, or drill 3 or 4 holes in a whole one and pick out the flesh through the holes and keep the shell whole.
Here are a couple of ideas for slightly different coconut caves though-pebble covered and a moss covered one. (scroll down to 'a moss lawn')

You know what, i've been puzzled over this for a while too, coconuts are ok but it seems impossible to find any decent wooden caves (natural) when it comes to hideaways for plecs etc.. only fake "lookalike" ones. :/

I've arranged my bogwood to make a hide out. The BN loves it and it looks natural :good:

saw an detailed "how too" on a polystyrene concrete backdrop, thinking of making a 10" wide 12" high piece myself, for just the corner of the tank.
My link

I just got two coconut caves from Ebay, with pre-drilled holes. Arrived very quickly and very good communication. The fish have completely ignored them so far but the Apple snails think their great. :rolleyes:

check out

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php

some really good ideas in here

just some 30mm pvc waste pipe conections cut in half and covered with aquarium sillicone and substrate matching what is in the tank, they are verry natural, and discrete. a verry cool idea

check out

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php

some really good ideas in here

just some 30mm pvc waste pipe conections cut in half and covered with aquarium sillicone and substrate matching what is in the tank, they are verry natural, and discrete. a verry cool idea

thanks guys :good:

i have opted for the coconut cavern option, 48p for a 'nut' from asda. cut it in half, consumed the contents, soaked the 2 halves for a week in de-chlorinated water. scraped all the hairs and debris off, fashioned nice 'fracture' type entrances with a junior hacksaw and a pair of pliers, filing the edges after. and put them in the tank. as yet havnt seren anyone go in them, but i have put them in the back out the way so they cannot be seen from the front.
oh, also put holes in the top for a bit of flow.

mick.

Get some rocks from the woods. Clean them with hot water and a clean brush. Arrange in cave shape. Repeat as necessary.

Most reactions

Back