What Would Be The Best Mix Of Fish For This Tank?

AQUAKING

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im kind of torn between a marine or a planted (FW) tank. I am thinking of just doing a simple fish only marine tank even though my tank isnt big. My tank is about 40"x12"x15" LWH, would i get a decent mix of small fish in a tank this size for it to be worth while?

That's about 30 us gallons, which is slightly on the small side (almost a nano) but you should be able to have 5 or 6 fish in a FO or FOWLR. I'd say go for it. :D

Thanks,

Do you think my tank would house a pair or maroon clownfish? and then maybe a few other small fish?

I would think maroons get to big?? As they get larger than others and are more aggressive/territorial if I remember right??

Then again they may be alright :D

Yeah just had a read up, i would rather keep peaceful (or as close to as poss) fish.

I have no idea what im going to get in the end, any suggestions?

Well you can get anotehr type of clownfish, like the common perculas, or occelaris, or you could get skunks, saddlebacks, clarkiis, black and whites, or some of the other fancy variants and things.

Add a blenny like a midas blenny, or a sailfin blenny (just examples).

Pick two more interesting fish like pipefish, jawfish, hawkfish, eel, or puffer and your set.

Of course you'll still want to research each fish individually, but if you put some research into it its not hard..

In my 37g I have a clarkii clown, a midas blenny, a firefish, and two flame hawkfish.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the examples. I think i am going to go fish only. Would some of these fish be suited to a fish only of my tank size?

-Bi colour/ flame dwarf angelfish (1 or the other obv)
-Royal Gramma
-Some kind of clownfish
-Banggai Cardinal
-Bicolor Blenny
-Smiths Blenny

Thanks for all of your help so far

Oh also is red sea salt any good? I may aswell pic some up at my LFS if it is.

thanks

Fish stocking is a little on the heavy side, but if it's FO, should be fine

And pretty much any salt is fine for FO

Fish stocking is a little on the heavy side, but if it's FO, should be fine

And pretty much any salt is fine for FO

I was more just naming the fish i most wanted then going to pick the ones that would fit. Do you think if it was done slowly then i could fit them all? Or most of them?

Also is there such a thing as to much light in a FO? Would my 2 T5 bulbs be ok, I read its best to use T8s on FO as brighter lights make the fish hide more

thanks for the help and fast reply

Can I suggest sticking with percula, ocellaris and pink skunk clownfish as these are the smallest (probably in order) and will be happiest in a tank that size. The other clowns should really be housed in 40g+. Try adding them one by one and see what the chemistry does. What filtration are you using? If you are using macroalgae and a sufficient 'biological filter' then you should be fine. Two T5 tubes will be fine, just remember that lighting in a fish only tank is to give the fish a day-night cycle and allow you to appreciate the fish.

Best of luck

Regards

Actually I'd just use a single T5 but not cause light scares the fish, more cause light encourages algae growth...

Can I suggest sticking with percula, ocellaris and pink skunk clownfish as these are the smallest (probably in order) and will be happiest in a tank that size. The other clowns should really be housed in 40g+. Try adding them one by one and see what the chemistry does. What filtration are you using? If you are using macroalgae and a sufficient 'biological filter' then you should be fine. Two T5 tubes will be fine, just remember that lighting in a fish only tank is to give the fish a day-night cycle and allow you to appreciate the fish.

Best of luck

Regards

Thanks for the reply. Yeah after looking about they seem to get huge, its a shame people keep them in Biorbs. I am most likely going to get a Percula. I have a extrenal filter rated for a much bigger tank size but i forget how big and im going to get as much macro algae as i can.

Actually I'd just use a single T5 but not cause light scares the fish, more cause light encourages algae growth...

Oh, ok then, will 1 T5 be ok for growing macro algae then?

Also where is the best place to get dry live rock? I have some that was labled reef rock at my LFS buy they dont stock it anymore. Anyone have a clue?

Im sure i will have a billion more questions lol

thanks for the help guys

Most likely yes, but if it's not quite up to snuff you can always slap a second one in there :)

Most reactions

Back