What wood can iput in my fish tank?

I've heard you can throw driftwood in the oven @ 200 degrees for 1 1/2 hours to purify it. I haven't had a chance to try it, but advice came from a lfs guy that is never wrong. That's kinda an oxymoron- a lfs guy who is never wrong-

Remember that driftwood from the beach will be saturated with salt. Long, long soaks in often changed hot water and a very through rinsing will get rid of much of it.

But it's so much easier and safer just to get bogwood from your LFS.

:D i took it out befor i got in to bed last ngith just in case im going to clean filter every day for a bit now . im justgoing to buy a proper pice of wood thanks for all your help. :D

sunbot said:
:D i took it out befor i got in to bed last ngith just in case im going to clean filter every day for a bit now . im justgoing to buy a proper pice of wood thanks for all your help. :D
I don't know that it'll be a good idea to clean your filter daily of you may disrupt you tank by getting rid of too much beneficial bacteria.

The thing i hate with fish shop wood its not a natarul shape its been messed with so it looks crap but ill still go to have a look anyway.

keep posting idias for me and others

:D :D :D

:pepsi:

Should i empty half of the water in my tank to keep it clean or leave it? :S

lol fishkeeper.

I would never personally put wood I found on dry land in the tank. It's too dangerous for already stated reasons and you often don't know what kind of wood it is or how long it has been rotting. If you want your own driftwood from nature, get some that has been in water, especially current/tides. Never ever use pine, only hardwoods. Check dry wood for softness - if its soft don't put it in the tank.

While we're on driftwood, does all driftwood/bogwood eventually rot in your tank?

...and yes, you might want to do a partial water change to be safe- I'd say no more than 25% though. You might not even need to do a water change if all the fish are unaffected.

Most reactions

Back