What will cut hardwood driftwood?

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a chunk of driftwood that I want to cut in half and mount a plant on the used half. While I admit that, since living in an apartment, I don't have a lot of tools but do have a small saw I tried. The saw barely scratched the wood. What do you use to cut this stuff? Mayhaps a course hacksaw? :dunno:

If the saw has too many teeth per inch, it will be slow going if using a hand saw. A hacksaw usually has too many tpi. You need a handsaw with a tooth count low enough for fast cutting of wood… like maybe 5 tpi. Or else a power saw such as circular saw or jigsaw. Maybe a neighbor has a power saw or proper wood cutting hand saw you could borrow.

If the saw has too many teeth per inch, it will be slow going if using a hand saw. A hacksaw usually has too many tpi. You need a handsaw with a tooth count low enough for fast cutting of wood… like maybe 5 tpi. Or else a power saw such as circular saw or jigsaw. Maybe a neighbor has a power saw or proper wood cutting hand saw you could borrow.
The saw I tried is about 13 teeth per inch; I just measured, but it is a REALLY cheap saw. I'll see if I can get with the maintenance guy in my apartments to cut. We get along pretty well.

Seriously you should be able to use a hacksaw if you can find one. I've cut 2/4's with one on jobs in a pinch a hundred times.

@Fishmanic is correct fewer teeth for hardwood would be better. The shape of the tooth matters as well, won't go into that here. The coarsest saw tooth I could find for a hacksaw is 8 tpi. The hacksaw will cut but it will take some time. Might be better to see if someone can cut it for you. How much depth and width are you going to have to cut. Have you secured the piece while you are cutting, will make cutting even with a hacksaw easier. If limited to hand tools I would considering a pruning saw, or a bow saw.

The saw will have to be sharp. Often home hacksaws have been used till they are quite dull.

I would be cutting through about 1 1/4 inch with a width of about 1 1/2 inch. It isn't big but it sure is hard. ;) It was actually a shipping mistake and the outfit told me to just keep it and sent me the proper piece. It is just too long to fit anywhere as is. Since I didn't order or pay for it there is no big issue but it looks sort of cool and has a hole all the way through that would be ideal for mounting a plant. I'll probably end up trying a hacksaw blade. If that doesn't work I can always anchor and break the thing. ;)
IMG_2467.JPG

Sporting goods stores often sell folding saws that will fit in your pocket, like a knife. One of those would probably work well for what you’re doing.

Sporting goods stores often sell folding saws that will fit in your pocket, like a knife. One of those would probably work well for what you’re doing.
I agree, something similar to this:

Hack saw should handle that amount of wood even if the saw isn't quite right. Seems counter productive to purchase an expensive saw if you are only going to use it once. Better yet get someone with a table saw to cut it for you, if you lived nearby I would cut it.

I'll try a hack saw blade and then hit up the apartment's maintenance guy if the blade doesn't do it. Just can't see buying a decent saw that I'll likely only use once.

Most reactions

Back