What Water Conditioner...

Quoting what API says about their product:
Stress Coat forms a synthetic slime coating on the skin of fish, replacing the natural secretion of slime that is lost during netting, handling, shipping, fighting and other forms of stress.

Which is very similar to aquasafe's blurb; but
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm
has got me thinking... if it DOES coat the fish, then it will coat the gills making breathing harder. and if it doesn't then it irritates the fish to make them secrete more slime... and if it just doesn't work, then its needlessly adding chemicals to a small environment...

I'm seriously considering swapping to API's tap water conditioner, but cant find anyone selling it... bah!
Michele

the site you linked to says that Seachem Prime, Tetra Aquasafe, and an API product all remvoe ammonia as well. Isn't that a bad thing for established tanks because that's what the good bacteria in your filter feed on?

I have always used stress coat, but at the moment I'm using water ager, only cos its cheaper, going back to stress coat when it runs out.

Stress Coat forms a synthetic slime coating on the skin of fish, replacing the natural secretion of slime that is lost during netting, handling, shipping, fighting and other forms of stress.

has got me thinking... if it DOES coat the fish, then it will coat the gills making breathing harder. and if it doesn't then it irritates the fish to make them secrete more slime... and if it just doesn't work, then its needlessly adding chemicals to a small environment...

I'm seriously considering swapping to API's tap water conditioner, but cant find anyone selling it... bah!
Michele

the site you linked to says that Seachem Prime, Tetra Aquasafe, and an API product all remvoe ammonia as well. Isn't that a bad thing for established tanks because that's what the good bacteria in your filter feed on?

It doesn't actually remove it, it converts ammonia to ammonium, which is harmless to fish but can still be used by your nitrifying bacteria.

I use Prime when the water is crappy, sodium thiosulfate when the water is good.

Seachem prime seems to be a popular choice. I'm going to head off to a new fish-shop in my area; lets see if they have some :)
Michele

I use stress coat but I've heard very good things about seachem prime.

I don't measure but I probably should...

I use an oral syringe for measuring the mL's. Just ask your pharmacist for one; they're usually free.

I switched from API Ammo Lock to Seachem Prime a year ago. Since Prime requires so little for 5 gallons (.5 ml), I asked the pharmacist if I could purchase a couple of syringes and he gave them to me like wendywc said.

Don't be surprised by the funky smell of the conditioner. :S

Michele

It doesn't actually remove it, it converts ammonia to ammonium, which is harmless to fish but can still be used by your nitrifying bacteria.

I use Prime when the water is crappy, sodium thiosulfate when the water is good.

where would you get sodium thiosulfate? Would it make sense to just use prime?

I used to use Aquasafe and found it, to be too costly.
Switched to Nutrafin Aqua Plus and i am stil using the same box 3 months on.

5e_1_b.JPG

API Stress Coat... always have used it. always worked for me. never a problem. no need to mess around with other stuff i guess.

Michele

where would you get sodium thiosulfate? Would it make sense to just use prime?

http://www.angelsplus.com/WaterConditioner.htm I've been ordering from here on & off for a few years. If you just have a tank or two, Prime is probably more convenient. I dechlor around 300 gallons weekly, this week is going to be closer to 600 gallons since I moved nearly every tank I own. Sodium thiosulfate helps with cutting costs, as long as you realize it produces ammonia when breaking down chloramines. This isn't a problem if you have sufficient bio filtration, unless they really jack up the chloramines.

This occurs here after a heavy rain, or other serious storm, which churns up my water source, Lake Michigan. The water company will load up on chlorine & chloramines after weather occurances such as these, and also jacks up the buffers during the winter. I use Prime during the winter, or if I have to do water changes after a bout of bad weather. Sodium thiosulfate works fine the rest of the time.

Most reactions

Back