What Was Your First Fish?

Only a matter or months ago a friend of ours had a kissing gourami in a 10 gal tank he didn't want. He told my daughter she could have it without consulting me and I went mad as I had no interest in keeping fish. Long story short, thanks to great help from the guys on this forum, the gourami is in a much better home and I'm obsessed with fish. :rolleyes:

My first 2 fish were also fair fish. My sister always won fish at the fair. She didn't want the last pair, so she gave them to me. They lived in a 1 gallon bowl for about a week until we learned that they really needed a tank. So we bought a 5 gallon tank. Well, that wasn't big enough, so we bought a 10 gallon. That was all I had room for. When they died, I had to replace them. I had goldfish for a few months. Then I saw guppies and fell in love. So I bought 6 of them for my 10 gal. I currently have 5 guppies and 2 mickey mouse platties in a 10 gallon, 6 neons and a dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon, and a stunning male betta in a 5 gallon tank.

My first fish, I was about 8 or 9 years old. My parents got me a 10 gallon tank and believed all the myths. They started with the 'one inch per gallon' rule and got ten 1 inch feeder fish because 'fish only grow to the size of their tank'. They didn't get a filter because they believed goldfish don't need one. Every now and then my mother would pull out all the fish, clean the tank in hot soapy water, and dump them back in with no acclimation at all. A couple of them got pretty big and ate the smaller ones, then one of the big ones killed the other, and then it slammed itself into the tank wall repeatedly until it died in a fairly bloody mess one day. It was horrible. That was the end of my fish keeping for roughly 20 years.

The first fish that I was responsible for myself was a betta fish in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. The sight of a fish peeking out of a miniature jungle is far more pleasant than the goldfish I had as a kid. I've now got multiple tanks and I'm seriously thinking of going into the 200+ gallon range once I have a bit more disposable income.

then one of the big ones killed the other, and then it slammed itself into the tank wall repeatedly until it died in a fairly bloody mess one day.

I'm not surprised that ended your fish keeping hobby for such a long time. Great to see you're back in the hobby though :) I used to have a 16G tank that started out wrong and I tried my very best to get it right. When I finally did, my dad didn't let me take care of it anymore so I'm left with my 5G tank with cherry barbs. My first proper set-up after 8 years.

Standard v small carp like goldfish but boring grey, breeder who had fishing lakes used to do them as prizes at fetes and I won several, they had a habit of jumping out of the tank and ending up on the floor tho, they were hardy, just gave them a rinse under the tap and stuck them back in! Did progress from that to a lively 4' Malawi tank tho, much better, that was upstairs in my bedroom at my parents before I got married and moved to a house too small for it!

My first was my Grandfathers Ghost Carp,he still has it, also it sometimes hand feeds of us

Most reactions

Back