What To Use To Clean A Second Hand Tank.

jackrmee

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a tank given to me. I'd like to clean it out totally so there is no chance of my fish getting some infection if in fact the previous fish were diseased or something like that.
I have been told to use peroxide. Is this correct?
Thanks

Hi,
I had a tank given to me. I'd like to clean it out totally so there is no chance of my fish getting some infection if in fact the previous fish were diseased or something like that.
I have been told to use peroxide. Is this correct?
Thanks

well i wouldn't use it. but thats just me. i feel there is more chance of a mistack my me, killing fish, than any bacteria that might be in there. BLEACH can be dangerous.

leave the tank dry for some time. then wash it out. leave it to dry again. then cycle the tank and add fish..

I just use hot water and give it a good clean out a few times.
Peroxide? Isn't that a bleach for hair?

Very very very weak bleach is sometimes recommended. You could also use a water and vinegar mix or salt water. Make sure you rinse it really well though. :) good luck.

Very mild solution of pure bleach to kill anything which might harm your fish.. but to be honest, I'd be content with letting the tank stay dry for a couple of weeks as most of these things can't survive being without a fish in the aquarium. Vinegar is good for removing lime scale.

I also recommend bleach solution. Rinse well and air dry. Any chlorine will evaporate as it dries and will be no residual problem. Just make sure there are no soaps in the bleach as sometimes they are added. Bleach kills all nasties and that's what I recommend if you are concerned. Nothing survives bleach as far as microbes are concerned. For added safety if you are worried using bleach ( which so long as the tank completely dries after should absolutely be no concern) is to double up on dechlor when you first fill the tank.
best of luck. Have fun with your new tank.
cheers

I wouldn't use bleach, personally. I prefer the hot water and salt method; much less risky if you manage not to rinse too well.

If you use chlorine bleach and do leave any residue the Sodium Thiosulphate in dechlorinator will bind it in the same way it will free chlorine and residual chlorine in monochloramine.

If you use chlorine bleach and do leave any residue the Sodium Thiosulphate in dechlorinator will bind it in the same way it will free chlorine and residual chlorine in monochloramine.
Oh, I know; I just don't like the thought of putting bleach in my tanks; irrational I know; anyway, it's unnecessary; a strong salt solution will kill nearly all pathogens you're likey to come across; especially combined with a total drying out for three or four days.

every one is saying that if you do use bleach, it needs to be watered down, but no one is saying how watered down... if someone wateres it down too much then its not going to do anything but if its not watered down enough then it can be harmful...so what are we looking at? a cap full of bleach and a gallon of water?? or is it more bleach then that?

1 part bleach to 20 parts water. Rinse well, double up on dechlorinator when filling.

Oh, I know; I just don't like the thought of putting bleach in my tanks; irrational I know; anyway, it's unnecessary; a strong salt solution will kill nearly all pathogens you're likey to come across; especially combined with a total drying out for three or four days.

lol, just my view. :good:

Most reactions

Back