Becks1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm new to malawi cichlids I got today
5 yellow labs
5 demasoni
5 peacocks
3 white ones can't remember there name
Some sort of malawi catfish that I haven't seen since adding it...

Was wonder what I should feed them an how often
What sort of flakes?
What type of pellets?
Etc...

anything algae from what ive read they sell cichlid flakes in my lfs idk if you can get your hands on that.

algae pellets are good the ones you would use for plecos. hikari pardon the spelling.

Brine shrimp/Blood worms.

you could also get your rocks if you have, put it in a bucket with water and let it sit in the sun to develop algae and your cichlids could nibble on that.

hope this helps you good luck.
good.gif

Keep down the protein and fats as their guts can't handle it ie bloodworm and mussel. I feed mine a mix of spirulina and normal flake, occasionally frozen brine shrimp.  

EDIT: That seems like quite a lot of fish to be adding at once. You might encounter some problems, especially messy fish like malawis. Also you might find the aggression with the peacocks too much. How bigs the tank? The catfish is probably of the synodontis sp.

Mine like the Hikari Mini Algae Wafers as mentioned above (and algae on rocks and ornaments), I have been told that Hikari Tropical Cichlid Gold Sinking is awesome for bringing out colours and is a good daily food.

You shouldn't mix the peacocks with the mbuna. Your asking for ww3. And your gonna want more demasoni. Dems like big groups to sort out the aggression. What size is your tank?

.....I have peacocks and mbuna and demasoni and they all get on like a house on fire. No aggression at all. It's a very happy tank to be honest.

My tank is a 4ft it holds 350 litres of water..
I have had the fish in 2 weeks all seems good no aggression at all really so hopefully they will be ok... The fish all seem to stay with there own type an not really notice the other fish...

Every tanks different. Mine shouldn't work but it does. It's just what I've read, and from other malawi forums.But defo add more dems ive read loads about dems or the demon cichlid. The adverage stocking for dems is 15-20.

Most reactions

Back