What To Feed My Tinfoil Barbs

justasking

Reaction score
I recently purchased 3 small tinfoil barbs. They are presently around 4 inches long. I was wondering how many flakes or pellets to feed each fish? I've read about the two minute rule but that really doesn't help me. Just wondering what a standard size meal would be for a 4 inch fish.

Also, if anyone has any experience with tinfoils I'd be interested to know what various foods you have fed them. Thanks!

I've always fed all my fish 2 or 3 times a day, just what they can eat in a couple of minutes. Just takes a few times to figure it out. As far as what to feed, tropical flakes and pellets, frozen foods and a good veggie formula will do the trick. What size aquarium are they in? As they can grow quite quickly.

justasking said:
I recently purchased 3 small tinfoil barbs. They are presently around 4 inches long. I was wondering how many flakes or pellets to feed each fish? I've read about the two minute rule but that really doesn't help me. Just wondering what a standard size meal would be for a 4 inch fish.

Also, if anyone has any experience with tinfoils I'd be interested to know what various foods you have fed them. Thanks!

Hi, Tinfoils are eating machines and grow very fast and are very active, hope you got a big tank. They eat everything! Flakes, tetramin, bloodworm, cichlid sticks and nuggets, they also like veg in there diet, mine love deshelled peas.

They are in a 220 gallon outdoor pond. They have eaten most all my pond snails and they seem to be tired of the duckweed in the pond. So they have been relying more on me to feed them flakes and pellets. But I really have no idea how much to give them. I could dump the whole bottle of flakes in the pond and they would probably consume it in 2 minutes. LOL

Mr Spoon,

You get deshelled peas in a pet store or a grocery store? Is that just a raw pea? What other vegetables can I feed the tinfoils? I would like to vary their diet and see what they like but I'm fearful I will feed them something that may harm them.

Yer it's a bit difficult to know how much to feed them, like you say they would eat a whole pack if given the chance, the way I worked it out was to feed them the amount I would feed other fish the same size plus 50%. That way they don't eat too much but still get enough to grow.

justasking said:
Mr Spoon,

You get deshelled peas in a pet store or a grocery store? Is that just a raw pea? What other vegetables can I feed the tinfoils? I would like to vary their diet and see what they like but I'm fearful I will feed them something that may harm them.

Just use regular frozen peas from the super market. Half cook them, let them cool and squeeze them so the inside of the pea pops out. I've not try's other veg. Mine also eat catfish pellets.

Mr Spoon,

Okay, thanks for the info. I will definitely try the peas and see what they think. I'm sure they will love it. They seem to love food in general. My tinfoils are about 4 inches. So would you say a minimum feeding for them (just to stay alive) would be something like 4 flakes each fish per day? Or is that not enough? I want to feed them just above the minimum because they will supplement their diet off things in the pond (insects, plants, algae, etc).

Mr Spoon,

Okay, thanks for the info. I will definitely try the peas and see what they think. I'm sure they will love it. They seem to love food in general. My tinfoils are about 4 inches. So would you say a minimum feeding for them (just to stay alive) would be something like 4 flakes each fish per day? Or is that not enough? I want to feed them just above the minimum because they will supplement their diet off things in the pond (insects, plants, algae, etc).

I had two about 12 inches long and they ate everything bloodworm, daphina convict chiclids a baby oscar allsorts lol

Mr Spoon,

I had two about 12 inches long and they ate everything bloodworm, daphina convict chiclids a baby oscar allsorts lol

You fed you tinfoils convicts and oscars :eek: ?

Most reactions

Back