What to feed my shrimp

T Newkirk

Reaction score
Hi all, I've gotten into shrimp. I have 1 10 gallon tank with blue shrimp and 1 ten gallon tank with red cherry shrimp. My red cherry shrimp shows no interest in the shrimp pellets. I've tried boiled zucchini and carrots again no interest. Any suggestions?

Keep it up with the shrimp pellets. Eventually, they will get hungry.

When did you get them? If they are new to the tank, they may still be settling in.

Shrimp pellets are usually made of shrimp rather than food for shrimp. Try Hikari crab cuisine and let the tanks grow algae.

Shrimp pellets are usually made of shrimp rather than food for shrimp. Try Hikari crab cuisine and let the tanks grow algae.
Good point. When the OP said "Shrimp pellets" I thought he meant shrimp food.

I feed my Cherry Shrimp Hikari card cuisine. They love it.

What do they do when they see a pellet? Do you leave them in there for a while?
My blue shrimp love the pellets. Yes I leave them in there for awhile. The tank I put the cherry shrimp is an established tank. I have seen one nibble on a pellet buts that's it. The pellets I got are for shrimp

My blue shrimp love the pellets. Yes I leave them in there for awhile. The tank I put the cherry shrimp is an established tank. I have seen one nibble on a pellet buts that's it. The pellets I got are for shrimp
Will you please upload a picture of the bag/bottle of the shrimp pellets?

How often are you feeding them? My red cherry shrimp are not picky eaters at all. They literally eat everything I give them from fish food pellets, blanched zucchini, algae wafers. But I only feed them every other day and what they can eat in 4 hours only. The colony is exploding In numbers.

Yes, shrimps are scavengers... They shouldn't be picky with food.

Usually Hikari shrimp/fish food have strong smell that attract them.

Here it is!

Attachments

• 15936106670823103174005591029670.jpg
    15936106670823103174005591029670.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 15936107689012295590396834981101.jpg
    15936107689012295590396834981101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
My little guys love a variety. De shelled peas and spinach, spirulina algae wafers, cucumber, zucchini, rockmelon (when in season) and I also have shrimp pellets I get from a breeder who makes them. I feed every 2nd day as I have snails in there too but feed enough for them and the shrimp and that’s it.

I've tried zucchini, carrot and spinach. They won't touch it. Ignores the pellets too. My blue dream shrimp will eat the pellets but they have ignored the vegetables also.

I've tried zucchini, carrot and spinach. They won't touch it. Ignores the pellets too. My blue dream shrimp will eat the pellets but they have ignored the vegetables also.

Keep introducing the veggies etc in they will come around. I find somedays some of mine are just happy to graze in the moss and whatever else they can find on the plants, driftwood and substrate, I knows they are finding things as I zoom in on my phone and watch them graze as they poop at the same time so obviously they are eating.

Most reactions

Back