What To Do With Plant

fishyplant

Reaction score
Hey people,

Basically I was ment to recieve my first tank today by RM spec. delivery 1pm. The company rang me this morning and the tank wont be here till monday!! :( Anyways, In prep for this my gf popped to lfs on way home today and purchased a couple of plants and sand etc (I was planing on doing a fishless cycle for approx. 2 weeks)

Now I have these plants, is it ok to put them in a bucket of water until monday. And also is that water then ok to put straight into the tank when I get it - (hoping I could get the nitrogen cycle started before I get the tank)

Thanks in advance people.

you wont do a cycle in two weeks, and how can you start your fishless cycle without the filter?

just leave the plants in a bucket in a warm ish place, until you need them and fill with water or, just fill about an inch with water and completely seal the bucket

a fishless cycle will take about 6 weeks and you will need to add amonia from boots (the shop).

plants will be fine as truck said. you might want to remove them from the pot, remove the rockwool and weight, and seperate the plants out into the plantlets. what plants have you bought?

You need your tank to start your cycle as you need the filter media as that's where the bacteria you're looking to grow will live. And sorry to have to tell you but it's highly unlikely to complete in two weeks. Your plants should be fine in a bucket of water. Use decholrinator then you could put it in the tank if you wanted - but there is nothing to be gained by that. The nitrogen cycle starts with the ammonia which you add to your tank. No point in putting it in a bucket with plants as it won't achieve anything.

There's loads of really good threads on here about cycling. Also a beginners resource centre and the New to the Hobby section itself, so lots of info.

Welcome to the forum :hi:. I'm sure you'll find it really useful. :good:

I'm a fairly new member myself but have found everyone to be genuinely helpful and by and large knowledgeable - please listen to what they advise - it will save you a lot of heartache and frustration ;) and save your future fish a lot of pain and discomfort too.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

In response to truck - I am planning on doing a fishless cycle for two weeks, then adding a couple of 'hardy' fish as people seem to call them - yet to work out which hardy fish to use though. Choosing to do it this way as I do not want to put fish in straight away after reading everything. Secondly, I completely forgot about no having a filter, my bad. Plants will go in bucket as you said though.

In response to Nick - I have already purchased amonia. Not too sure what the plants are, as she is not back yet! And seeing how you asked that question its scared me....I hadnt researched plants, are there good ones/bad ones?!?!! Hopefully the lfs was able to provide her with suitable ones, i.e. for a tropical tank of course!

Sorry about silly post - can't quite work out how to use the 'quote' function.

well, most lfs's will try and sell you non aquatic plants and things.

plants need as much care as fish really, some like lower light, some high light, co2, ferts, nutritious substrate etc.

ah, what you think you're doing as a fishless cycle is not actually a fishless cycle ..... if you read the links in my sig 'the nitrogen cycle' and then the link 'fishless cycling' this will explain it all to you.

The plants will be fine in a bucket for a few days. I would try to keep them in a well lit area so that they don't brown too much from lack of light. If you have low light plants, they might not appreciate direct sunlight, even through a South facing window. For many plants, a nice South facing window could give the plants plenty of help prospering in the future. As MW said, there is no such thing as a 2 week fishless cycle. You are contemplating a fish-in cycle and fooling yourself by calling it fishless. It can also be done with success but is a lot more work and much more stressful.

Most reactions

Back