What To Do? Fry In Mi Tank

AshGillott

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did a water change today and spotted a little platy in my tank, I know the mother had dropped as her spot had gone but being in my tank I thought I would never see anything swimming. But low and behold there is was, a spotty little fish swimming about. I went to the shop and got me some more shrimps and a breeding net thing. When I returned I opened the bag and the guy must have given me the smallest shrimps they have and they are really too small to put in with the rest so into the net they went with some moss.
Anyway I can't get to the spotty whatsit, furthermore there are 3 I have seen and the little critters are living with the shark! So what do I do, I have tried using a modified pipette to suck them out but the are way too fast and I would have to dismantle the Sharks den to have half a chance of accessing the tiny community. I dropped in a fake plant to the corner near to jaws 2's house hoping to provide cover but my main concern is feeding them.
Any advice gurus of fishdom?
5f9852d9024aa7e2c1c3cf7d19e05220.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livebearer fry are large enough to be able to eat finely ground flake foods, so when you feed flake food, take a very small amount and grind it with your fingertips.  Livebearer fry prefer remaining near the surface, so they will easily eat this, but you should have some floating plants for protection.  Not all of the fry will survive predation, but some almost always will, if they have sufficient hiding places.  And once your female platy begins delivering young, it will go on for months so you will likely have more fry than you will know what to do with.

Fry will also feed off of the multitude of microscopic critters that inhabit plant leaves, wood, the substrate.

Byron.

Thanks Byron,

I just fed the team so hopefully they got some, these have learned fast because they are at the bottom of the tank amongst the nooks and crannies, covering Jaws 2's house is a decent sized piece of wood, which is slowly becoming covered in moss, I noticed one creeping about on the wood then a guppy went for it and it disappeared into the moss. By my calculations they are 4 days old now and the guppies are getting close to dropping too perhaps a week at the most.

Looks like I need to get me a fry tank soon, mrs will go mental!

Well the fry are still alive and getting their colour, found another 1 today so that makes 4, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back