What to do for Discus white stringy feces and cure

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mazain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of the melon discus have got white stringy feces and being abit lethargic in the tank.
I'm reluctant to isolate the fish in a quarantine tank for treatment, so I treated the tank with metronidazole in the food and all the other Discus, Rainbow fish ate the food except the melon with white stringy feces.
After the treatment it's shoaling with the rest of the fish as if it's fine.
so do I leave it with the rest of the discus fish and continue the treatment for another couple of days or do I need to isolate it in a quarantine tank?

Being a discus it's probably an internal protozoan infection caused by too much meat food and not enough plant matter in its diet. Metronidazole is the normal treatment but the fish needs to be treated for a week. You normally add the medication to the water so the fish get it in their system if they aren't eating.

The following link has info on stringy white poop in fish.

The next link has information about the diet of wild discus. Discus that get lots of plant matter in their diet rarely have intestinal problems. Fish keep in bare glass tanks and fed meat based foods regularly need medication.

Most reactions

Back