What the heck kind of Gouramis are these?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ridgerunner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I believed I originally bought golden/sunset gouramis, but after about five months they seem to be changing color. These pictures don't show the darker color well, but the "pearls" weren't there, neither were the vertical darker stripes. There are no midline markings or dots of any kind.

I hope you'll be able to see markings and pearls. They sure don't look like golden or sunset to me. Thanks

Attachments

• Gourami 1.jpg
    Gourami 1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Gourami 2.jpg
    Gourami 2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Gourami 3.jpg
    Gourami 3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Gourami 4.jpg
    Gourami 4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 68
Snakeskin Gourami, Trichogaster pectoralis

Just a regular Gold Gourami. A lot of them get the brown markings as they grow. It’s nothing unusual.

Last edited:
Eureka! After spending hours researching via internet, I believe I've found the correct name of this critter.

"The Three Spot Gourami Trichopodus trichopterus (previously Trichogaster trichopterus) was described by Pallas in 1770 and is found widespread throughout continental southeast Asia and Indonesia.
The Platinum Gourami is a man made variant of the Three Spot Gourami. It first appeared in the aquarium industry in 1970. Another common name it is known by is the Silver Gourami. The majority of the available specimens are commercially bred in the Far East and Eastern Europe."

"The body color is white with a soft yellow or silver undertone and thus it is also refer to as the Silver Gourami. A hint of marbling is still visible on this species, especially on the back and belly. These spots and stripes extend on to the fins, giving the otherwise clear fins a very attractive pattern. A pale remnant of the two dark spots for which this species group is known is often still visible.

1629146158172.png
1629146158172.png1629146549291.jpeg
Sample

Only thing is yours is gold (even with a bit of blue from its ancestors).They are all the same species.

Last edited:
Those are Gold Gouramis same fish as blue ones just different color..Can be aggressive to same species.

Just reading this has reminded me, at one stage I had Moonlight Gouramis (Trichogaster microlepis) now they are a really cool Gourami. Gets rather large but fantastic in a 4 foot tank and not half as aggressive as some

Gold gouramis like the others said. The darker colour and fin shape suggests all fish in the pictures are males. So probably young males that became sexually mature and have started colouring up.

Most reactions

Back