What Tankmates Should I Get For A Male Betta In A 10gal?

Not to be rude...but there is a search function in the top right corner. Utilize it
I know this has been discussed between you and stang1 but I just want to put my opinion in.

If the point of this place is to seach for answers you are looking for, I think it would be set up like Wikipidea instead of like a message board.
The point of this place is for you to ask a personalized question and to get personalized answers. To do the search thing for every question that you have (yes somethings should be searched, others are perfectly fine to ask) is defeating the purpose of this board.

I would also say that cories are your best bet. They dont actually need to be in groups of 6+, thats not the recommended number, the recommended number is 3+, as they are gregarious but arent tightly shoaling.

Plus the dont *need* sand, i have sand in all my tanks, including my cory tank, as i know they probably prefer it and no fish prefer gravel. However, as long as the gravel is relatively, small, round and smooth then there shouldnt be a problem. A picture of the gravel always helps when it comes to this.

I'm also not entirely sure on the "cories need plenty of water movement" point of view, yes, thats probably what they have in the wild, but as long as the tank is well filtered i cant see a problem.

So you could have about 5, as jollysue said, but if youre unsure, then 3-4 would do fine.

Not to be rude...but there is a search function in the top right corner. Utilize it
I know this has been discussed between you and stang1 but I just want to put my opinion in.

If the point of this place is to seach for answers you are looking for, I think it would be set up like Wikipidea instead of like a message board.
The point of this place is for you to ask a personalized question and to get personalized answers. To do the search thing for every question that you have (yes somethings should be searched, others are perfectly fine to ask) is defeating the purpose of this board.

I never said the point was to search for your answers. Sorry, but when there are three of the same question on one page alone, it's not a personalized question anymore ;) . Either read the first couple pages, or use the search before asking your question. You might find the answers you need so you don't have to ask. That's the point of the search feature :)

Now, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just saying

I would also say that cories are your best bet. They dont actually need to be in groups of 6+, thats not the recommended number, the recommended number is 3+, as they are gregarious but arent tightly shoaling.

Plus the dont *need* sand, i have sand in all my tanks, including my cory tank, as i know they probably prefer it and no fish prefer gravel. However, as long as the gravel is relatively, small, round and smooth then there shouldnt be a problem. A picture of the gravel always helps when it comes to this.

I'm also not entirely sure on the "cories need plenty of water movement" point of view, yes, thats probably what they have in the wild, but as long as the tank is well filtered i cant see a problem.

So you could have about 5, as jollysue said, but if youre unsure, then 3-4 would do fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corydoras
..?
"Corys are shy fish and it is recommended to keep them in groups of at least six as most species seem to form shoals in the aquaria (e.g. Paxton 1997)"
Very large river rocks would work, but from what I've gathered, small gravel wears at their whiskers and hurts them?
I dunno, maybe I'm misinformed..

Not trying to start an argument either, but I would say it is personallized because of this right here:

10 gal tank
"natural" colored gravel (kind of tan and brown-ish)
1 live java fern
1 live section of java moss
fake wood w/ fake plants attached
fake wood stump cave w/ fake plants

there is a heater and a filter also

he is a small bright red veil tail male betta and he currently shares his home with 2 amano shrimp and 1-2 ghost shrimp.

This person gave specifics on their tank and asked what else would be okay to put in with what they already had. I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that anyone else on here has the same type of set up as this person. Which would make it personalized.

If was another "what is the smallest tank I can use for a betta" question I would understand telling them to look around. But even then, I probably wouldn't. I would just give them the answer. Like I said, that's why this is a message board, to get answers from your peers. instead of a search engine.

You get my vote, fuman_chica. :good: I think It is good to let the poster know that there are pinned topics, search mechanisms, etc., But this is advanced as a friendly forum. I came expecting friendliness and usually got it. especially in the Betta forum. But some members seem to need to have an outlet for their abrasiveness. It reminds me of when I was a Long Distance Operator back in the day and people called to let out their passive aggressive issues on us.

As far as need and preference with fish: I never enjoy my fish as much as when I make an effort to adapt to the fish rather than have the fish adapt to me. When I followed the encouragement of Inchworm and other Cory enthusiasts to increase the species tribes, give them higher aerated water with airstones, Cory food rather than leftovers, etc., I began to see the delightful behaviors of the Corys and enjoy their happy and sexy dances. They began to be secure enough to breed and give me their babies.

Not trying to start an argument either, but I would say it is personallized because of this right here:

10 gal tank
"natural" colored gravel (kind of tan and brown-ish)
1 live java fern
1 live section of java moss
fake wood w/ fake plants attached
fake wood stump cave w/ fake plants

there is a heater and a filter also

he is a small bright red veil tail male betta and he currently shares his home with 2 amano shrimp and 1-2 ghost shrimp.

This person gave specifics on their tank and asked what else would be okay to put in with what they already had. I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that anyone else on here has the same type of set up as this person. Which would make it personalized.

If was another "what is the smallest tank I can use for a betta" question I would understand telling them to look around. But even then, I probably wouldn't. I would just give them the answer. Like I said, that's why this is a message board, to get answers from your peers. instead of a search engine.
:nod: Couldn't agree more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corydoras
..?
"Corys are shy fish and it is recommended to keep them in groups of at least six as most species seem to form shoals in the aquaria (e.g. Paxton 1997)"
Very large river rocks would work, but from what I've gathered, small gravel wears at their whiskers and hurts them?
I dunno, maybe I'm misinformed..

Well, 3+ is the number we recommend on this forum. I personally would rather follow the advice of the many people on this forum, than some random guy who wrote that on wikipedia.
I think that is rather exaggerated, cories are not particularly shy fish, yes they can be easily startled and frightened into hiding, but what fish doesnt do that?
I think the phrase "form shoals" is also misleading, it implies that they shoal such as tetras do, which is not the case, they can be completely independent in what they do in the aquarium, they just prefer company of their own kind, and will sometime follow each other around for a bit in groups of 2 or 3. I have a group of 5 corydoras trilineatus in my cory tank, i have never seen them purposely follow each other around and "form a shoal", they will usually go around in couples or singley.

It depends on the coarseness of the pebbles, not really the size as such. Should be quite small though, enough for cories to move about a bit.

Which forum is that? Why not start this subject on the Corydoras board and see what the response is?

I think in general the approach may be "3 minumum, but the more the merrier." I just saw that from LL about loaches, but the general wisdom is that they are happier and more outgoing in larger groups.

It is the same with Cories and many other Catfish. "The more the merrier." The behavior changes with large groups and also with strong currents and high oxygen--with most Corys. But I need to stop deralailing this thread and get it back on track.

Basically, we are presenting two alternative views of fishkeeping to this OP. It is up to the poster to decide the approach that will work for her/him.

Ok...whatever

Everyone agrees with you. You win :rolleyes:

I'm over it now...tired of everyone turning everything into a stupid argument
It's not a question of winning and I can see your point entirely. I, myself, have read through other people's posts before asking questions and have sometimes found the answers I need. Certainly has saved time doing it that way!
But I know when I first started out, I was so wary of getting it right that I asked the question anyway just to be 100% sure. ;)

Ok...whatever

Everyone agrees with you. You win :rolleyes:

I'm over it now...tired of everyone turning everything into a stupid argument
No one was trying to win anything. I have just noticed in the last week or two you have (in my opinion) jumped on people for things that it isn't necessary to jump on them for. That may not be your intent, but obviously in this case you knew that what you were saying was kind of rude. You yourself said "Not to be rude...but" and then went on to be rude.

As some one who has been here a long time and has seen how this place has gone from really nice to where people get snapped at for not using the search engines all the time, or for asking questions that have been asked several times before, or whatever. There is no reason for it. The point of a message board is to discuss. If they want to ask a question that has been asked, ignore it if it annoys you. There is no reason that they can't ask because someone else already has.

Most reactions

Back