What tank to get?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It’s my 16th birthday this year and my parents have agreed that I can get another fish tank. I want it to be large and to be the best of my three tanks, I haven’t decided wether I want saltwater or tropical yet. Size I was thinking about 55 gallons. I am looking for general advice on fish combinations I could keep in here.

A school of rummynose in a 55 is awesome (I love mine so much :))
But as @Byron would always say... is your water hard or soft? That will be the most helpful in stocking ideas

Happy Birthday:bday: 55gallon is a great size not too big to take over a room, but big enough that you can do a lot of things with it. I like tetras too and rummynose are a good choice. Just have to find out what type of water you have.

Get a double tier stand and put the big tank on top and a couple of smaller tanks under it.

As for the fish, what is the GH and pH of your water supply?

What fish do you like?
Go to a pet shop and make a list of fish you like, then post it here and we can make recommendations.

55 gal. If soft water i like tetras and corydoras. If hard water african cichlids.

My water is quite soft, I can not get a direct quote on what it is but it is between 20ppm and 60ppm. I am thinking something exotic... something like a Target Puffer maybe, but I might change my mind as there are some good suggestions above. However, I am quite interested in puffer fish as I do really love my little dwarf puffers :wub:.

A couple of species im considering are some species of Target Puffer, Abei puffer or maybe go that extra step and go for a big one.. like a Fahaka.

75g is one of the best sizes out there. It allows you to do so much with it and not overcrowd it. A fahaka puffer wouldnt really work in a 55. Puffers get bored very easily and that leads to nipping and eating other fish. If you want puffers though amazon/bumblebee puffers can be in a group and get along with other fish. Very personable puffer but they can get fat quick due to them always acting like they're never feed. Dont fall their cute little faces. Green spotted puffers are great too and a 55 would be perfect for them but they get to be high end brackish to low marine salinity after a while. But it's really not too bad I still use a sponge filter for them and it's good. Oh and dont forget about snails along with other crunchy foods because of their beak

Last edited:
75g is one of the best sizes out there. It allows you to do so much with it and not overcrowd it. A fahaka puffer wouldnt really work in a 55. Puffers get bored very easily and that leads to nipping and eating other fish. If you want puffers though amazon/bumblebee puffers can be in a group and get along with other fish. Very personable puffer but they can get fat quick due to them always acting like they're never feed. Dont fall their cute little faces. Green spotted puffers are great too and a 55 would be perfect for them but they get to be high end brackish to low marine salinity after a while. But it's really not too bad I still use a sponge filter for them and it's good. Oh and dont forget about snails along with other crunchy foods because of their beak
Thanks for the info, do you think a 75g is sufficient for a fahaka puffer? I may go with amazon puffers as they sound good, however I am not too bothered about having other fish with them.

Fahaka puffers can get to a foot plus and 75g are generally 4×2. It can get a little cramped. I am biased on this puffer in particular though its the only puffer I've kept that I wasn't a fan of so do keep that in mind.

Most reactions

Back