What tank should I get?

Since algae eaters came up. I have a bit of a thing about this. You see this all the time online. "The 10 best algae eaters for your aquarium." I think the mindset behind that is misguided. People should only get a fish because they like how it looks and/or behaves. We can't expect fish to do our job of maintaining the tank for us.
Algae is caused by an imbalance in the tank. Usually an excess of light and/or nutrients. One of the other benefits of the fast growing floating plants is that they outcompete algae for nutrients. It's up to us as fishkeepers to find the right balance of light and/or nutrients. If you get a fish to deal with the algae for you, then you're probably going to be disappointed with the result. Because a fish can't possibly deal with the root causes of algae.
There are a lot of cool fish that eat algae that are fun to keep. But if you get one (or shrimp or snails), then do it because you like the animal not because it will do a job.
I agree that you should not get a fish just because it will clean for you, but some fish can be helpful with algae control (algae will continually grow back though if not stopped at the source) . For example, I like hillstream loaches. They’re cool to look at, and clean algae as well.

The needs of the fish should be taken into consideration as well. Hillstream loaches, for example, need cooler, fast flowing water so they are not suitable to eat algae in a tank where the other fish need warmer, slow moving water. But in a tank with other fish which also need cooler fast flowing water, hillstream loaches would make a nice addition.

I agree that you should not get a fish just because it will clean for you, but some fish can be helpful with algae control (algae will continually grow back though if not stopped at the source) . For example, I like hillstream loaches. They’re cool to look at, and clean algae as well.
Hillstream loaches are cool to look at. But they also have some specific needs. They need a lot of flow in a tank. That's what their bodies are built for. They especially need the highly oxygenated water that results from that high flow. They also need the tank to be mature before they are added so that there's enough algae accumulated for them to live on. There are a lot of tanks that are not suitable for them. That needs to be considered before adding them to a tank and I'm not sure that everyone who gets them because they think they'll be a janitor of the tank considers that.

The needs of the fish should be taken into consideration as well. Hillstream loaches, for example, need cooler, fast flowing water so they are not suitable to eat algae in a tank where the other fish need warmer, slow moving water. But in a tank with other fish which also need cooler fast flowing water, hillstream loaches would make a nice addition.
I agree, hillstream loaches prefer higher flowing fast water, but many people keep them and even breed them in warmer, lower flow water. But if not hillsyream loaches, maybe otocinclus. I know they have to be kept in large groups of at least 10.

Each species of fish has evolved to function in a very specific environment. Environment here includes water parameters (GH, pH, temperature), water flow, decor replicating the habitat, numbers of the species, light, and other fish (temperament, compatibility). To keep the fish in good health and free of more stress, you must provide what it requires and expects. These factors are in the fish's genes, they do not change except over thousands of years.

The fact that individuals may provide an environment that is different does not mean the fish is OK. Fish have as their primary goal reproduction to maintain the species, that is how evolution operates. The fish may swim, eat and even spawn but that does not mean it is doing well. Surviving an inappropriate environment that we force upon it is not the same as thriving as nature intends. And it is inhumane to the poor fish.

I agree, hillstream loaches prefer higher flowing fast water, but many people keep them and even breed them in warmer, lower flow water. But if not hillsyream loaches, maybe otocinclus. I know they have to be kept in large groups of at least 10.
I have my own experience. It's not with algae though. I have pest snails. I know why I have them. Because I struggle with overfeeding. It's something I'm working on. Now a lot of people will tell you to get assassin snails to deal with them. And I did. Here's a secret about assassin snails. They will actually prefer to eat leftover fish food to eating other snails. So if I keep overfeeding, then not only do I get a bunch of pest snails but the assassin snails won't do much about it. The common theme here is that there is a root issue that needs to be addressed that an animal can't possibly do anything about. When I overfeed, I get lots of pest snails. When I keep feeding under control, I don't see as many.
Luckily, assassin snails are pretty hardy and undemanding. My water parameters are fine for them and importantly, I have a soft sand substrate they can burrow in. So the animal's needs are met. They just aren't going to compensate for my mistakes. It's worse when an animal's needs are not met by people who get something to do tank maintenance for them. Not accusing anyone. But that's what can happen when people want an animal to do their job for them.

Most reactions

Back