What Shrimp Is This?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ogrt48

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well my roommate came home from a fish store with gifts for me.. 2 bala sharks and this shrimp which he can't remember what its called.. Yeah I know the bala sharks will be too big for my 10g so I have to do something with them. I'm guessing this shrimp will get too big too but I'd like to know what he is still.
Thanks

shrimp_filtered.jpg

shrimp2_filtered.jpg

Though I'm not too experienced with very young crayfish, that one looks a lot like Cherax quadricarinatus, the Australian redclaw crayfish. If that is the case, then that guy will grow to be around 13'' long. They're darned interesting to keep if you have the room.

Though I'm not too experienced with very young crayfish, that one looks a lot like Cherax quadricarinatus, the Australian redclaw crayfish. If that is the case, then that guy will grow to be around 13'' long. They're darned interesting to keep if you have the room.

....crap. My puny 10 gal wont do then. =\

Yeah. I'm 100% positive that that is a crayfish and not a shrimp, and the vast majority of crayfish grow to at least 5'' and don't get along with fish (they usually eat them). An adult redclaw crayfish wouldn't even be able to turn around in a 10 gallon tank, and usually should be kept in at least 30 gallons. Sorry to break the bad news to ya. :/

Yeah. I'm 100% positive that that is a crayfish and not a shrimp, and the vast majority of crayfish grow to at least 5'' and don't get along with fish (they usually eat them). An adult redclaw crayfish wouldn't even be able to turn around in a 10 gallon tank, and usually should be kept in at least 30 gallons. Sorry to break the bad news to ya. :/

o.o
He's stuck in there with 2 bala sharks, a dwarf puffer and a orange finned loach.. I fear for mourning time as I have no where to put any of them tonight

He looks very small at the moment, so I wouldn't expect him to damage any of the fish yet. If you tried to keep him in the long-term, though, there would probably be some problems.

Most reactions

Back