What Should I Do?

Fishfan4lyfe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My LFS wont sell pregnant fish (knowingly) after looking in their tanks for pregnant mollies or platys they dont have any i asked would they order them ina dn they sed no :( I have also tryed other local stores but no luk

I currently have 1 female mollie after the other 3 died :(

And 4 platys (1 male, 3 female)

I really want a pregnant fish but can't seem to get my hands on one :(

Thanks in advance

Also what do you think is better a net or a birthing tank that floats in the main tank

just get a male molly for your female, she will be pregnant in like 2 days.

Also, I don't recommend using a trap of any kind as it stresses the female out.

Hey! Chances are if there's a male with a female, then she'll get pregnant, I currently have 9 babies from 3 different pregnancies and a pregnant fish that is due in a couple weeks, (I have 9 babies that I just let float in the plants when they were born) a birthing net or trap does stress the mother out to much and may cause her to abort her pregnancy, which definately isn't good! Once you see the babies though, you could do what I did and put them in a breeding trap or net, just until they're big enough not to be eaten by the other fish in your tank :good:
Hope I helped :)

Thanks but what are the chances she will get pregnant?

Like sims3dude said, its like a 100% chance she will get pregnant if there is a male and female in there.

Thanks all for your help

what is the female to male ratio?

1 male - 2 females

Thanks but what are the chances she will get pregnant?

Like sims3dude said, its like a 100% chance she will get pregnant if there is a male and female in there.

Thanks all for your help

what is the female to male ratio?

1 male - 2 females

Thanks

The best ratio is about 4 or 5 females to each male but most people don't need all the fry that would cause. That is the reason we usually suggest 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. You do not need any males in the tank for your adult molly to deliver fry. A female molly will carry viable sperm packets for over 6 months that she can use to deliver fry. I just had this girl spend 2 months in a fry delivery tank and give me 2 fry drops without ever seeing a male over a month old. Since mollies do not develop their sexual characteristics at that age, she either had a virgin type birth or was carrying sperm packets. The picture is from when the fry were 33 days old.

MomNEm33_1024.jpg

jus an update that my last mollie died :( dont know the caus eof death cause all other fish are fine going to get more platys and hope either they are bought pregnant or they get preganant

Most reactions

Back