What Should I Buy?

_Cal_

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im going to be ordering off drsfostersmith.com, and Im wondering on what nutirents I should buy?
Here is a list, they are all searchem products
-Flourish
-Flourish Excel
-Flourish Iron
-Flourish Trace
-Flourish Nitrogen
-Flourish Potassium
-Flourish Phosphorous

Ive printied out that article, and have read it a couple times, but to tell you the truth my parents want my ordering from a site that they can trust and dr smiths and fosters, and big als are it besides actually going to the lfs.

gregwatson.com is a very trustworthy site IME. I have ordered CSM+B from here in the UK and it has arrived in less than a week. Hundreds of planted hobbyists use them regularly with no problems as far as I know.

I'm sure your parents would rather you spend 10% (or less) of the money to acheive the same, if not better, results.

edit - I understand your parent's concerns, all I can do is reassure that Greg Watson is a reputable outlet. I'm not linked with them in any way either BTW!

You would think so, lol, but its the sad truth its not the case. They dont know much about the internet, and think its unsafe, and dont trust it, Ive tried other sites they just so against it.

You would think so, lol, but its the sad truth its not the case. They dont know much about the internet, and think its unsafe, and dont trust it, Ive tried other sites they just so against it.
That is a shame but understandable nevertheless. Sounds like you may have no option then, I assume they're buying the ferts for you?

You will probably need all the ferts as your lighting level is so high, you will need CO2 at 30ppm and corresponding high nutrient levels to keep you plants well-fed in order to keep algae away.

Just show them the price difference that should be enough of a shock to get them to trust Greg Watsons website, if you order off greg you will not have to order anything else for years probably, with the Seachem products you will be ordering quite frequently, ive ordered from Greg and i live in Ireland, goods arrived super fast with no problems.

Do not buy Flourish trace you do not need it.

What type of tank are you planning, do you want to run a highlight tank or what have you in mind.

What's your lighting - is that 2 x 65W T5 PC? That's A LOT of light in a 20G, even I would have trouble keeping that sort of set-up balanced.

Yes it is, I seen it and instead of impulsing buying of a fish, I did it with a corallife aqualight. What I have in mind is in my sig, Im getting pressurized co2 put in in the upcoming week.

Yes it is, I seen it and instead of impulsing buying of a fish, I did it with a corallife aqualight. What I have in mind is in my sig, Im getting pressurized co2 put in in the upcoming week.
Then you have 6.5 Watts per Gallon. With this amount of light you leave very little room for error - the line between plant growth and algae growth will be very fine and you will need to pay very close attention to your CO2 levels and other micro/macronutrient dosing as well as an appropiately large plant bio-mass.

I strongly recommend setting up your pressurized CO2 and buying your ferts prior to even turning your lights on. Aim for a stable 30ppm CO2. Plant heavily with fast growing stems, there's a list in the pinned algae article. Test regularly for NO3 and PO4 to ensure they remain at recommended levels and dose your ferts accordingly. It may be prudent to stock with plenty of algae eaters i.e. Amano shrimp and Otos from the outset too, this should help keep any initial algae blooms under control.

Bear in mind that if you do go the Seachem fert route then you will be spending a fair bit regularly as your inevitable growth rates will dictate lots of nutrient requirement.

On a more positive note you will be able to grow any aquatic plant you can get your hands on! Also with the fast growth and consequent large nitrogen compound removal rates you will eliminate the need for any traditional or fishless cycling. As I mentioned it may be worth sticking a load of algae eaters in from the start.

I want otos, but I have a jewel cichlid will they survive? I actually do have on my old light which is just a standard 20 watt, I have for the past week. Well Im going to a couple lfs, and a welding shop today, and if it isnt open tommarow. I plan to get my pressurized co2, and some ferts, a ton of stem plants, and if I can keep otos, 5 of them, maybe even more.

Most reactions

Back