What should aquarium water smell like?

matt_wilby

Reaction score
Ok, sorry if this is a bit off beat but I've read in a couple of places that a healthy aquarium should have no smell. But in other places a slight earthy smell is good.

My healthy community tank has a slightly earthy smell. I was just wondering what everyone elses aquariums are like?

Cheers.

Just went to check - slightly earthy. Everyone in it seems healthy and happy, and water parameters are ok, so I presume it's alright.

I think it differes from one tank to another, some have no smell, some have a slight smell. As long as it isnt too strong I wouldnt worry :thumbs:

Mine smells like fish sh!t.

Then again, it was a 30 fish community tank. Kind of like a big city sewage and pollution. Even if you get rid of it, you'll always have the smell and look.

No smell here, and all levels are great. I just did a water change Saturday though, so that could have somethin' to do with it. :thumbs:

mine has a planty kind of smell to it. everything is fine in the tank so i guess its ok

A hint of Blackcurrent, a slight bouquet of rose petals and the smell of burnt toffee!! MAGNIFIQUE!!! :flowers:

mine has a tendency to get a fishy smell. that is when i know to change the carbon in the filter!

gibbo and www, you two are a couple of characters!

maggie

Not like I go round sniffing my tanks or anything..... I am trying to cut back.... :lol: :lol:

Odd question I know. But thanks. Woz a bit confused for a bit.

me neither. snorting tank water is not my idea of fun. just after 7 years of changing steady diapers, i got the knack of telling when something does not smell right! :sick:

Most reactions

Back