What On Earth?!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Yesterday i noticed something floating in my tank. So i fished it out.

Today i have found a whole collection of them. I would take a photo, but its in a dark little corner so i cant really! But i can only describe it as looking like one of these!
Photo Here

It is about 1 or 2 cm in size.

What is it?

Does it look like a small child? :lol:

Do you have snails or something like that, who could have laid eggs?

Haha, if there was a small child hiding in my tank, i would know how to deal with that! And i'm not sure it would be the method that child-friendly organisations would approve of haha.

No snails, nope! Only living thing in my tank are cardinals, rams and plants!

Yesterday i noticed something floating in my tank. So i fished it out.

Today i have found a whole collection of them. I would take a photo, but its in a dark little corner so i cant really! But i can only describe it as looking like one of these!
Photo Here

It is about 1 or 2 cm in size.

What is it?

A pair of lips?

Ok, so now for some answers... :p

Here are some photos of the things!
Plantsrot-3.jpg

Plantsrot-4.jpg

Ok, that is particles of food that are growing mould on them. You need to do a bit of a spring clean and feed a bit less. Or maybe the fish don't like that food and you need to try something different.

Ok, that is particles of food that are growing mould on them. You need to do a bit of a spring clean and feed a bit less. Or maybe the fish don't like that food and you need to try something different.

Perfect, thank you! Will they be causing any problems in the tank just now, I.E ammonia? Or can i leave them until my water change on Sunday as i plan to take out my big lovely bit of bogwood (sad times, but its blocking light and CO2 from my plants and is making to good a hiding place for my fish lol)

Perfect, thank you! Will they be causing any problems in the tank just now, I.E ammonia? Or can i leave them until my water change on Sunday
I wouldn't if it was my tank; I'd do it now.

as i plan to take out my big lovely bit of bogwood (sad times, but its blocking light and CO2 from my plants and is making to good a hiding place for my fish lol)

There's no such thing as 'too good a hiding place'. If the fish doesn't want to be out on show all the time, you shouldn't force it. If you do that you'll just end up with a stressed out, pale looking fish that spends all it's time under the filter looking miserable.
Either accept that's that's just how that fish is or find out what you can do to make the fish feel more secure so it wants to come out. That might mean a change of substrate, lighting, food, more (or less!) of it's own kind; even more hiding places so it has somewhere handy to hide where ever it is in the tank; there could be all sorts of things. Taking the 'best' hiding place away is not what you want to be doing though, IMHO

Well maybe i explained that wrong. I understand and agree with you about the need for hiding places, no worries!

The wood is causing me bigger issues than just not seeing my fish - its blocking light and my plants are going brown. It floats even after having been in water for 2 months, so is tied town to loads of rocks which looks ugly! The new wood i am getting will still create hiding places, but they will be lower down than this bit of wood!

I think they are hiding a lot just now because they are new to the tank. They will have this bit of wood for a while yet i think as i doubt this new bit will sink so it'll need soaked

Oh, I see :) Sounds like a good plan.

You still need to siphon up those bits though ;)

Most reactions

Back