What New 4 Ft Tank To Buy?

johnhutch2000

Reaction score
So basically I've moved house and my old 125 litre fluval tank is still set up at my old place holding my tropical fish. I' figure moving it is going to be a pain so what a good excuse to upgrade. I've got about £300 to spend and I want a tank in the 200litre plus size. The only limitation is the depth (front to back) must be less than 49.5 cm so it fits on the sideboard I bought especially to hold my old tank before I decided to buy a new one instead (well planned yes?)

So what's the concencus on the best tanks to meet the budget? I was looking at Juwel rio 240s and vision 260s but they are very expensive new and all the second hand ones are quite a. Way from Nottingham.

Open forum I'd appreciate any opinions you have.

Okay so 49cm is about 19 inches. So I think quite a lot of the commercial 200 liters come in under that.

With the sideboard how strong is it? Is it made from real wood or chip board? Does it have any strenthening beams? Are you 100,000% sure it can hold 200 + liters of water?

Since you are going with a sideboard rather than a commercial stand I would look at the tanks with floating bases so its got the plastic trim on so you avoid seeing the sheet of polystyrene under it.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-roma-aquariums/fluval-roma-200-aquarium-and-cabinet-oak-and-wenge.html

I have always liked the Romas and thats £326 brand new with a stand which you could keep (I personally would) or sell on and you would come under budget. FYI if you take that to your local MA they should price match it as well.

The other tip I can give is Fluval changed the design of them (purely cosmetic) recently and some shops are still selling off the old style ones at discount prices. Some are brand new in box some are ex display.

Wills

Juwel Rio 240 inc. stand from SeaPets is £300ish I think. Sent to you as well. And you get a couple of free things. :good:

Hold out for something second hand. Something will turn up eventually and probably include filters, heaters etc

MAs have a new range of tanks in :)

Aqua Manta tanks, similar design to the Romas but come with T5 lighting (much better!) and a decent external filter :)

http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/WhatsNewinfo.aspx?id=239

Prices quoted are including the stand btw.

Okay so 49cm is about 19 inches. So I think quite a lot of the commercial 200 liters come in under that.

With the sideboard how strong is it? Is it made from real wood or chip board? Does it have any strenthening beams? Are you 100,000% sure it can hold 200 + liters of water?

Since you are going with a sideboard rather than a commercial stand I would look at the tanks with floating bases so its got the plastic trim on so you avoid seeing the sheet of polystyrene under it.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-roma-aquariums/fluval-roma-200-aquarium-and-cabinet-oak-and-wenge.html

Hi there,
Thanks for the link a 200 looks good I knew they came in 240 sizes but don't think I've seen just a 200 before I'll check it out.
I'm 99% sure the sideboard will be fine. It's solid wood with 3 compartments and solid frame holding it up. Weighs an absolute ton but I bought it deliberately for the fish tank idea. Now Ive decided the sideboards too big for the tank hence the upgrade idea.
:)

I have had the 240 vito'd by my better half and so have compromised with a Rio 180. Picking it up tomorrow, hope its a good one!

Any good? I have set myself on that. Can you let me know your thoughts on it?

Hiya, yep it looks mighty nice. It was in a bit of a state with algae etc when I got it back. However I've cleaned it up now. I'm going to test it for water tightness before I start aquascaping. Once I get the scape done I'll upload some picture for you if you'd like. :)

hi i bought this last year £359.99 fantastic tank for the price and good customer service comes with hood lights cabinet heater and filter id recomend a canister filter as the one provided isnt very good http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/fish-tanks/cabinet-aquarium-fish-tanks/cabinet-fish-tank-aquarium-330-litres-120cm-four-colours.html

27b4f9ba.jpg

This is my 5 foot Juwel Rio 400 which i bought 2nd hand for £200. It came complete with the proper stand, a fluval fx5 filter, white sand, bogwood, 2 300 watt heaters, magnet cleaner,water dechlore and nets. The person I bought it from even delivered it to me in with the price. I also got the original receipt of purchase.

Since buying it i have spent a bit of money but only on things iv wanted to change because I'm fussy and won't rest until my tank is exactly how I want it lol There are such good bargains to be found out there.

I love juwel tanks and have owned a rio 180, vision 180, vision 260 and now my rio 400. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. They are awesome tanks IMO and I wouldn't recommend any others unless someone was looking for bigger tanks than the juwels. :)

It's definately a nice bit of well made kit. The tank glass is so much thicker than the equivalent models on the market that I've seen. I tested last night for water leaks that may have occured in transit but not a bit of it. Keep you posted

It's definately a nice bit of well made kit. The tank glass is so much thicker than the equivalent models on the market that I've seen. I tested last night for water leaks that may have occured in transit but not a bit of it. Keep you posted
Good to hear :) looking forward to updates. Good luck

Good to hear :) looking forward to updates. Good luck

Just so I don't double post anything. This is a seperate thread I started to try and get opinions on the current layout. It has pictures of the current state of the tank if anyone is interested:
Hardscape placement so far

27b4f9ba.jpg

This is my 5 foot Juwel Rio 400 which i bought 2nd hand for £200. It came complete with the proper stand, a fluval fx5 filter, white sand, bogwood, 2 300 watt heaters, magnet cleaner,water dechlore and nets. The person I bought it from even delivered it to me in with the price. I also got the original receipt of purchase.

Since buying it i have spent a bit of money but only on things iv wanted to change because I'm fussy and won't rest until my tank is exactly how I want it lol There are such good bargains to be found out there.

I love juwel tanks and have owned a rio 180, vision 180, vision 260 and now my rio 400. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. They are awesome tanks IMO and I wouldn't recommend any others unless someone was looking for bigger tanks than the juwels. :)
Sorry didn't see this before. That 5 foot looks really nice! I agree with you, now I've seen the qualit difference between Fluval 125 tank I have and the Juwel I'd never buy another brand I think. Unless I went for a mental 400 gallon or something ;)
Maybe when I win the lottery!

Most reactions

Back