What Kuhli Loach Is This?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

haleem8777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I picked up this fish from my LFS as it didn't look like the usual black kuhli loach, so what species is it?

CAM00596.jpg
CAM00597.jpg

It was hard to take clear pictures, all i can say it is slightish brown and is eel like so very thin

So LFS often sell lots of loaches as kuhlis but they are often one of four or five different species now I know the one you have is brown just like the ones I have but they are called the black kuhli loach no idea why since they are brown but that's what they are called :)

I am 100% it is not a black kuhli loach as when i brought it it was in a tank with normal blacks and it was very different, also i have black kuhlis in my tank and it aint the same. its hard to see from the image but it is very very very thin.

I was searching and could it be a Pangio anguillaris or a similar species ????

Does it have a forked tail or a rounded one?
I know there is a type of swamp eel that is often caught with khuli loaches and shipped off accidentially with the wanted khuli loach.

The loach has a normal tail that kuhli loach have. i was just looking at the loach closely and it is two shades a light brown on top and a even lighter colour on the bottom side. similar to this picture of google 
Pangio-anguillaris-spotted-form-1.jpg

I managed to take some good shots of the loach, these be easier for identification.

CAM00608.jpg
CAM00604.jpg
CAM00607.jpg

I think you are right in that it is probably anguillaris, I have an unknown Khuli that I got in a shipment some four years ago now I think it may be Filinaris? got the usual striped and then an oddity! strangely all the striped died off ( I think they had internal parasites ) but this one is still going strong, may have to get a few friends for it.
Picture 212.jpg

It could also be Doriae which is similar.

Yeah, it is probaly the eel kuhli loach, i have tried to get more in,so it can have some friends

Most reactions

Back