What Kind Of Filter System Do You Like Best?

itsmedeanna64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

My 29 gal tank was a kit from Walmart and now I am wanting to get a better filter system than what came with the tank. From what I read, a good filter makes a big difference in how your system runs. My only LFS is PetSmart, other than that, Ebay. What brand and size, etc do ya'll recommend I look for? I'm working on a community tank with non aggressive fish. Right now I just have some zebra danios, a couple of male guppies, a hatchet fish (was given to me) and 2 algae eaters.
Don't get me wrong, I am having no problems at all, just want to get a better filter system than what I have.
Thanks so much and I hope all of you have a wonderful Holiday!

Eheim external canisters are great if you can get them for a reasonable price, although a fluval 3/4+ would be almost as good for your tank. Look for approx 900 L/H of filtration: I have that on one of my 30 gallon tanks, and the water is always crystal clear.

An Aqua Clear 200 would work well in that tank. It's easy to switch different media around in an AC, very similar to a canister. I would avoid the cartrige type of filters, as you are stuck using that media & pretty much nothing else.

Tolak

Hi Deanna Cronan :)

I would recommend an AquaClear too. Either the one Tolak suggested or, if you think you might eventually stock your tank more heavily, a 300/70 would not be too big. I have one running on a 29 gallon now.

IMHO, AquaClear filters are the best buy for your money. I've also heard that Petsmart charges a higher price in their stores than on the internet, but if you print out the page showing the price, they will honor it. It's worth a try anyway. :D

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1135372641105

When you get your new filter you should either run both along side each other for a couple of weeks or transfer some of your filter media from your old filter to the new one and keep an eye on your water stats.

:)

:wub: I just love you guys! :wub:

I certainly didn't want to ask the people at PetSmart because I don't quite trust them for professional advice! At my PetSmart all they have working in the fish dept is teenagers that act like, 'duhhhhhh....' when you ask them something! At least now I'll know what to look for!

BTW-thanks for the link too! I may just use it and order it online!

I appreciate it so much! :*

Deanna, who has sold 6 baby Pygmy goat kids to wonderful homes in the last 2 days! :D

wow, you have your own road!! Congrats on the goat sales :)

Can I make one observation from my own experience - I personally only recommend Rena canister filters. I've owned three Fluval canister filters, 104, 204 and a 404 and they have ALL leaked. I've had two replacements and after keeping my 204 it still leaks 40% of the time.

My Rena +2 hasn't leaked once, has all the spraybars and attachments you'll ever need and has a variable flow valve which is great if you've got more delicate fish in the tank.

Hope that helps!

Well in my 60ltr tank i have an Elite filter- Had it for over a year and not one problem yet.

Hi Deanna Cronan :)

If you want to order from Petsmart online, and don't need things right away, you can wait until they have one of their free shipping offers. This is the best of both worlds, but you will have to spend a minimum amount of money. It might be $50, $60 or $70, depending on the sale they are running, but they do one or the other every few months. Since there is no Petsmart near me, I wait for these sales and order hoods, lights, filters, etc.

For me it's worth it because their online prices are better, by far, than anything I can get locally. If there was, I'd give it a try printing their page out and bringing it to the store. :D

wow, you have your own road!! Congrats on the goat sales :)

Actually, in a non-fish comment....... :) We live on a dirt road and it's all family that owns all this land around here...Uncles, Cousin, etc. It's nice being out in the country and I get to have all the critters I want and make all the noise we want to! LOL We are also a racing family and live at the drag strips during the summer. There are 5 drag cars on this road! LOL
My goaties are my babies. I am not in the goat selling business though. We have 12 PET goats and I sell the babies we have to good homes. It's a very good feeling when I know they are going to wonderful homes with children.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday! You all have helped me with my tank so much!

As for the filters, I have 2 Fluval 304s on my 75 gallon and they work great and 100% silent. I don't have any experience with the AquaClear so I can't speak on those but have heard a lot of people that use them.

I've also heard that Petsmart charges a higher price in their stores than on the internet, but if you print out the page showing the price, they will honor it. It's worth a try anyway. :D http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1135372641105
Definitely true as I have done it on several occasions. Just tell the cashier when they get ready to ring you up. They probably will have to call a manager to do it but you will get that price.

That leads to my next comment. Definitely buy your bigger price tag items on line. You will save in the neighborhood of 30 to 50 percent. For instance, Petsmart was charging $149.99 for the Fluval filters when I got mine. I bought them from Pet Solutions for $89.99 plus shipping. That's almost getting one for free. Big Al's is another good place to order online and if you buy on Wednesdays, you get double points. Only 500 points gets you a $10 certificate off your next purchase (I sound like I'm doing commercials). I've bought from both of them and they usually ship within 24 to 48 hours. You're in Georgia so shipping via ground shouldn't take more than about 3 or 4 days (I'm in NC and I think mine was 3 days). And Big Al's is running free shipping (on most items) through January 2nd so there's more savings.

Most reactions

Back