What Is Your Favorite Type Of Cichlid?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sawickib said:
All favorites
1. Geophagus - All
2. Discus (green, snakeskin, royal blue, turquoise, checkerboard, heckel, brown, pigeon blood, pretty much anything but plain)
3. Eletric blue jack dempsey
4. Kribensis
5. Super red Severum
awesome all of these are very cool.
AeonMapa said:
@sawickib I got three out of your 5 with me right now! 
smile.png
super red, electric blue and geophagus surinamensis
sweet great pics

Yeah the Dempsey has only been with me about a month, im sure the fish cant be more than 3 month of age total, im doing a growth journal on him :)  How much do the super reds go for over there? I got mine for the equivalent of  about $5 he was 2" in length now nearing 4". I keep mine in a planted tank, I found out his favorite plant to eat was cabomba so I bought a whole lot he eats a good amount of it but its too plentiful and grows too fast for him to eat it all

Attachments

• WIN_20140328_144701.JPG
    WIN_20140328_144701.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 56
My fave cichlids would be:

Yellow labs, discus, albino black oscar, jewel cichlid and firemouths

1. Aequidens, and all relative species from dwarf acara up. (sorry cant limit it to one lol)
2. Severums (again all species)
3. Oscar
4. Hopolarchus psittacus
5. Uaru

Top 5 I would like to have

1. Managuensis 
2. Uaru fernandezyepezi
3. red devil/midas 
4. Biotodoma cupido
5. JD (Had a JD before)

1. Largemouth Bass
2. Striped Bass
3. Smallmouth Bass
4. Hybrid Striped Bass
5. White Bass

hmmm good topic :)

1. Severum - no question, my Lilly is a Heros Severus (mouthbrooder) and must be coming upto 11 years old now!!
2. Geophaugs & Acaricthys - had quite a few before but lost a lot a while ago :( I had a big group of 4 Geophagus Winemilleri and they were incredible! 8 inch fish and stunning. I still have my Threadfin who is about 5 :)
3. Laetacara Thayeri - one of my dream fish that I am about to get a small group of this weekend, very excited!
4. Biotodoma Cupido - or Wavereni or the rumored third species. I have a group of 6 young Cupids about 5 months old now I think growing well :)
5. Veija Maculicauda - Black Belt - if I were to ever have a wet pet this would be it, for obvious reasons they wont go in my tank :)

Wills

I'd say:

1. Red devil
2. Rotkeil severum
3. Geophagus winemilleri
4. Jewel cichlid
5. Threadfin acara

frapadoodle said:
1. Largemouth Bass
2. Striped Bass
3. Smallmouth Bass
4. Hybrid Striped Bass
5. White Bass

Nice try but those aren't cichlids 
tongue2.gif
Cool fish nonetheless.
My Top 5 would have to be:
1. Ellioti Cichlid,  they're like firemouths infused with a rainbow
2. Rams, I've just had so many and they are just so full of personality (and of course they are gorgeous) 
3. Jewel Cichlid (those deep red ones are just:
drool.gif
)
4. Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi (Southern Egyptian Mouthbrooder) although I have yet to find someone selling them 
sleep.png

5.  Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head"  (Males are just incredible......INCREDIBLE)

AeonMapa said:
Yeah the Dempsey has only been with me about a month, im sure the fish cant be more than 3 month of age total, im doing a growth journal on him
smile.png
 How much do the super reds go for over there? I got mine for the equivalent of  about $5 he was 2" in length now nearing 4". I keep mine in a planted tank, I found out his favorite plant to eat was cabomba so I bought a whole lot he eats a good amount of it but its too plentiful and grows too fast for him to eat it all
cool i dont have any of those in my area but online they cost like $

star4 said:
1. Aequidens, and all relative species from dwarf acara up. (sorry cant limit it to one lol)
3. Oscar
4. Hopolarchus psittacus
5. Uaru

1. Managuensis 
2. Uaru fernandezyepezi
3. red devil/midas 
4. Biotodoma cupido
5. JD (Had a JD before)
sweet all great

My top 5 are as follows:
1. Jaguar Cichlid
2. Pike Cichlids- these are the only fish on this list I actually keep (Crenicichla Lucius)
3. Uaru
4. Chocolate Cichlid
5. Emperor Cichlid- I once saw a documentary about lake Tanganyika that showed these fish defending their fry and it was truly amazing!

star4 said:
3. Oscar
4. Hopolarchus psittacus
5. Uaru

1. Managuensis 
2. Uaru fernandezyepezi
3. red devil/midas 
4. Biotodoma cupido
5. JD (Had a JD before)
awesome love all of these.

Most reactions