What Is This?

I agree, lava rock is not worth the risk

I bought a faky plant for my freshwater tank which has lava rock on the bottom, caused no probs... does it affect FW the same? I have read numerous places about lava rock in a SW tank though....

I dont think that it will have the same problem with FW. Since most of the LFS use it for decor.

How exactly do I get the Bristle Worm from the lava rock???? After your comments about touching him i'm really not up for trying to remove him myself!!! :crazy:

I want to take the rock out but he REALLY likes it!!!

HELP :/

blast the rock with a powerhead or something like that so he gets distressed and runs off, then take the rock out

Ok...done...although I don't think he's going to remain friends with me ;)

All the Lava Rock is out, i'll take out the large piece of artificial rock soon. Already tapped up the LFS to swap it for loads of Live Rock (and then some more). So hopefully the tank will look marine soon instead of tropica! :good:

Thanks for all help and tips.
Debb

Bristleworms are a pain in the butt, you can get stung just re-arranging your tank. The bristles on their back get in your pores and sting, they also have knashing teether that bite you and your fish. When your fish settle for the evening they can latch on and suffocate them.

To set up a bristleworm trap, use a small bit of sealed tubing with a hole in, stuff it benith your rocks, after a few days you will see how many you have caught, throw them away.

You can also catcy them at night with a uv lamp, they will hide in the day,

Many marine books say all marine tanks have bristleworms, i was shocked when i first knew they existed, theyre llittle monsters!

Most reactions

Back