What is this white stuff on my black angel

Helpmylucifer

Reaction score
Okay so lucifer has these white patches on his fins it is really weird. It seems like where it started the color is completely gone to where his fin is transparent. Please help I am new to keeping fish I have only had my tank for about 6 months. It's a 29 gallon tank with a yoyo loach and a angelfish. I clean the sand n filter every week with about a 30 percent water change weekly. He was doing a lot of flashing so I have been treating them with furan2 thinking it was columnaries and so far the flashing has stopped thank god but he is still white? Please help!!

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20190901_150558.jpg
    20190901_150558.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 70
I can’t tell anything from the pic.

It's either an external protozoan infection or excess mucous.

Fish have a thin layer of clear mucous/ slime over their body. When they are stressed by something (chemicals in the water or disease organisms), they produce more mucous and it can appear as a cream or white film over their body or fins.

The best treatment for excess mucous is doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

------------
Fish rubbing on objects in the tank are usually infected with external protozoan parasites that bite the fish and irritate it. The fish tries to brush the parasites off by rubbing on objects in the tank.

Poor water quality or chemicals in the water can also cause fish to rub on objects.

External protozoan infections can be treated with salt, Malachite Green, Copper and a few other chemicals. Salt is safest. Malachite Green causes cancer.

-------------------------
Furan 2 is an anti-biotic and will not make any difference to external protozoan infections.

Anti-biotics should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use or mis-use of anti-biotics can cause drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, birds, animals and fish.

Anti-biotics like Furan 2, can also wipe out your beneficial filter bacteria and cause the tank to cycle again.

How long have you had the fish?
Have you introduced anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

What sort of filter do you have?
How do you clean the filter?

How do you clean the sand?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water (in numbers please)?

Test the tank water and then wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks and post some clear pictures during that time. If the cream/ white areas get worse we can look into adding salt or chemicals but do some big water changes first and tell us how you clean the filter.

Hold your phone horizontally when filming or taking pictures so the image fills up the entire screen and not just a small section in the middle.

I have had the fish for about 6 months ever since I got it, it hasn't done well. I had a ram in with my angel and loach but he started picking on my angel so i moved him. The reason i thought it was bacteria because the ram has what looks like saddleback disease so I figured they were all kept in the same tank for 2 months so they prolly all have the same disease. Anyways I have a aqueon 40 filter that I rinse every couple weeks in tank water I vaccum the sand every couple weeks and when I use the test strips my nitrite and nitrate levels dont even change color. Ever since I got my angel he has had a retarded looking side fin idk what it's called but i noticed when i first brought him home he didnt even use it it was glued together at his side now he uses it but it still looks ragged. External protozoan sounds more like it I thought that was maybe what was wrong from the beginning but I'm afraid of copper and everything else is scary considering my yoyo loach. Loaches cant have salt in the tank either was what I gathered from everything I had read. I just noticed today the loach has got the same looking white film on his sides I dont think water changes r going to do it but we will see. I told the people at the pet store this was my 1st time getting fish I wish they woulda told me about loaches being sensitive to medications. I cant believe they are not dead yet honestly. I know the Revis something wrong with them and has been i just have no idea what I'm doing or what it is. Thanks for the advice.

If the loach is getting a white film over its body, do big daily water changes for a couple of weeks.
Post pictures of the loach showing the white.

Most reactions

Back