What is this thing?

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just saw this on the glass in my tank. I thought it might have been a small piece of plant leaf, but it looks like some sort of water creature. Hubs says it's a snail but I am not sure. I have 3 nerite snails in the tank but haven't seen any eggs and they shouldn't be able to hatch in fresh (not brackish) water. So I'm stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 70
Ramshorn snail, the mini variety. They are regarded as pest snails and are usually acquired with plants.

They do no harm and don't bother me, but if you don't want them then yes, take them out.

Yep, dispose of, before you have dozens of them

They do no harm and don't bother me, but if you don't want them then yes, take them out.
Yeah, I don't mind snails in general but I have 3 large nerites in the tank now and got them in order to control the snail population. I don't really want a bunch more snails over populating the tank.

Thank you!

I have those in my tanks, they've been in there for years. Well, not the same snails, the descendants of the original snails by now. I also have physid snails (another pest snail called tadpole or bladder snails), malaysian trumpet snails and nerites. I don't have a problem with the ones that can breed in freshwater as I don't over feed the fish.

Yeah, I don't mind snails in general but I have 3 large nerites in the tank now and got them in order to control the snail population. I don't really want a bunch more snails over populating the tank.

Thank you!
?
Nerites won't affect other snail species populations; maybe you are thinking of assassin snails?

Most reactions

Back