What Is This Ph Supposed To Be?

eslingerl10

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been using the API freshwater liquid master test kit on my tank to monitor the cycle, but I've been having a little bit trouble observing the pH value. I feel like the color is supposed to be one of the ones listed on the card, but I can't pin-point it. Hopefully someone can help me out?? 
sad2.gif

IMG_3327.JPG

I don't know that anyone can tell you based on the picture. Often colors in pictures are really distorted.

Blough said:
I don't know that anyone can tell you based on the picture. Often colors in pictures are really distorted.

The picture is exactly what it looks like in real life. It looks like more of a peach/pink than any of the colors on the card. I'm leaning towards 7.8 because of how bright the color is, but besides that I have no clue.

I know this feeling all too well... but from what it looks like, it looks like it could be anywhere from 8- 8.2. 

I really don't like testing for pH because with the API kit, it's so difficult to pinpoint lower pH levels. Usually, if the pH is neutral like in my 55 gallon, I need to ask someone else what it looks like to them. Either this test is just really difficult to make out, or I'm color blind....

RainboWBacoN420 said:
I know this feeling all too well... but from what it looks like, it looks like it could be anywhere from 8- 8.2. 

I really don't like testing for pH because with the API kit, it's so difficult to pinpoint lower pH levels. Usually, if the pH is neutral like in my 55 gallon, I need to ask someone else what it looks like to them. Either this test is just really difficult to make out, or I'm color blind....

Glad I'm not the only one! Besides the fact, assuming that my pH is between 8-8.2, how would I go about lowering it without purchasing pH lowers (which I heard aren't very effective anyway). I've done a lot of research in the chem lab with buffers to know that trying to lower the pH takes a lot of fluid.

This is why I bought a PH test meter.  :)

If I had to lean towards anything based on the picture it would be 7.8

I'd say it's close to 7.8 too. 

My pH is very low as I have very soft water so I treated myself to the JBL test kit. It was slightly more expensive but it reads as low as 5. I tested and still couldn't accurately determine what it was. In the end I decided it was around 6.5 - ish. It's the best I could come up with 

Far_King - the pH test meter is this a battery powered device that reads electronicly? I think I've seen them somewhere ... it's jogged my memory

thanks Far_King, I'll have a look. Anything that makes life easier!

No probs.  You'll need some distilled water for calibration and if you have a fair idea of your PH already you'll know if it's reading accurately.

I was going to buy one but I've decided against it for now. My pH is stable and the tank is cycling normally. My fish are well and healthy, spawning regularly and all that. I don't think I need one right now but I've added it to my 'saved for later' list for when I move next year. That will be the point where my pH may change and it will come in handy :)

If you have deep pockets, invest in a pH controller and monitor.

If I had the money, there is no doubt I would own one. 

Injecting pressurized CO2 can lower your pH, but if you have livestock in there it's probably not a good idea...

Try reading it outside under sunnlight.  Some indoor lights have a low CRI (Color rendoring index) and that can make it difficult or impossible to get a good reading.  

other tricks would be putting it against a white background or filling a second tube with clear water, standing both side by side on something white and removing the caps and looking down into the tube

These are all very good ideas that I'll try!! Thank you!! And I'm currently in college, so I don't have the "deep pockets" for a pH monitor.. That actually gives me very scary flashbacks to chem lab 
unsure.png
....... I'll just go with the tests that I bought; my betta is still alive in the tank after 3 months so I'm assuming that the pH is good

Most reactions

Back