What Is This? Big Black-Yellow Beetle.

MicroBex

Reaction score
Have just been cleaning out my stingray filter (Approx 6 months old and bought new). It hasnt been working well lately, and my tank has got quite dirty. I'm pulling out the filter pads and the phone rings. When I come back to the bucket, this beetle is walking around trying to hide.

The small triangular end is the head. It clearly has 3 segments so I'm thinking a type of beetle. The body is black, with thin yellow stripes. About the size of a 20p coin, 50p if you include the legs.

Is it friend or foe? And do I put it back in the tank (I don't like the idea of killing it- but if needs must I will)?

Thanks for any help!

[Other details: Small tropical tank, ~ 20 litres. Mainly guppy fry, two assassin snails. Last new addition was a plant ~ 4 weeks ago]

Attachments

• 180171_596742369205_285402174_5362179_5366533_aaaas.jpg
    180171_596742369205_285402174_5362179_5366533_aaaas.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 22
google " beetle with yellow stripes" i would'nt put it back in,it might of been on the outside of the bucket then fell in whilst you wern't looking

Okay, my initial panic is over. It sure scared the crap out me! Google search was successful and just highlighted how poorly I searched the forums before posting. It looks alot like this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328814-id-on-beetlebug/

A dragonfly/damselfly nymph. I'll keep it, but I wont put it back in the tank. It can go in a bucket of water outside!

Okay, my initial panic is over. It sure scared the crap out me! Google search was successful and just highlighted how poorly I searched the forums before posting. It looks alot like this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328814-id-on-beetlebug/

A dragonfly/damselfly nymph. I'll keep it, but I wont put it back in the tank. It can go in a bucket of water outside!

A top predetor, do not under any circumstances put that thing back in the tank.

:no:

Most reactions

Back