What is this and how do I get rid of it?!?

Idon'tknowwhattat white stuff is. As to excel it is sold as an alternative to CO2 gas. It is an organic molecule that is similar to one found in plants and the assumption is that plants can use it as a source of CO2. And yes it is toxic twosome plants and can also harm fish. I tried itin my tank a long time ago and saw no benefit.

You have an air stone in your. The bubbles will help Keep CO2 O2 levels stable in your tank. I don't see a reason to worry about CO2 now. As to the other products you add to your water I agree with all the comment you got with others.
Thanks so much!

Don't worry, it takes most people a bit of time to get the hang of a new forum! :)

I'm wondering the same. The fact is slimy makes me wonder if it's a biofilm type thing, especially since it's fairly easily removed. I'd stop all the excess chemicals and just work on manually removing it, and trimming back any 'dusty' leaves even if it means cutting back quite hard, and see how things are looking in a few weeks after some maintenance and some large water changes. Seems a shame to cut back such large beautiful java ferns, but they're already impressively sized and green, I'm sure they'll bounce back quickly enough! I also think it's sometimes easier to manage a potential algae outbreak if you're overzealous about removing it before it really gets a good hold.

Wait, what are you using in your filter? Any kind of balls or pillows or anything like that?
Thanks for taking the time for all your info! Those Java Ferns grow so quickly, I’ll definitely cut it back. In my filter are carbon fiber pads, fluval polishing pads, a bag of granular phosphate remover and a bag of granular ammonia remover.
I’ve started water changes every 3 days last week, approximately 20%.

Taking your filter media one at a time:

carbon fibre pads - you don't need carbon full time. It's only use is to remove medication after treating sick fish. The best thing is to replace it with plain sponge cut to the same size and shape.

Fluval polishing pads - are these a filter floss type of thing? If they are, they are good for removing fine particles.

Phosphate remover - only needed if your tap water is high in phosphate. If the level is not high, replace with sponge.

Ammonia remover - also not needed. Plants and bacteria remove ammonia. If a chemical removes ammonia, it starves the plants and bacteria. Again best replaced with sponge.

Taking your filter media one at a time:

carbon fibre pads - you don't need carbon full time. It's only use is to remove medication after treating sick fish. The best thing is to replace it with plain sponge cut to the same size and shape.

Fluval polishing pads - are these a filter floss type of thing? If they are, they are good for removing fine particles.

Phosphate remover - only needed if your tap water is high in phosphate. If the level is not high, replace with sponge.

Ammonia remover - also not needed. Plants and bacteria remove ammonia. If a chemical removes ammonia, it starves the plants and bacteria. Again best replaced with sponge.
Thank you SO much for all that info! 🐠 🐟

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ll attach some pictures. In your opinion, should I use a small amount for what’s on the plants? Some of the broad leafed plants have an “ dust” on them as well. I pruned the really bad ones. View attachment 312343View attachment 312344View attachment 312345View attachment 312346View attachment 312347All water parameters are as close to perfect as I can possibly get.
You won't find the answer to algae in a bottle. Algae is the result of an imbalance in your tank. Usually an excess of light and/or nutrients. It looks like there is a window behind your tank there. Some black posterboard on the back of the tank might help to block some excess light. It's good for the fish too. Reduces their stress. And it makes the tank look better. It hides some of the equipment and the colors of the plants and fish pop against a black background.

Thank you so very much.
Won’t a plant fertilizer stimulate more algae growth?
It depends. The trick is to find a balance. To have just enough light and fertilizer for your plants, which will then outcompete algae for nutrients in the water. Now, I think I'm seeing a lot of java ferns and some anubias in your tank. These are slow growing plants so they won't need a lot of fertilizer, if any at all. (I might be missing any faster growing plants in the pics). So it could be easy to add too much fertilizer that the plants can use and it feeds the algae. Faster growing plants, specifically floating plants will need more nutrients. Overfeeding fish can add excess nutrients to the water too. It's really a matter of trial and error until you find the balance.

Most reactions

Back