What is the quietest airpump I can buy......

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adaptable

Reaction score
Hello,

I have kept OSCARS (the best fish in the world if you have the space and I do) for over 10 years now and I had a very old airpump what was in a cabinet and you could not hear. In the last couple of weeks I and my family decided to get a community tank after a few problems what have be ironed out Im looking to purchase a QUIET airpump.

Any one got any idea .

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have just got a NEWAIR Air Pump "from Aquarium Systems (The people who make Visitherm & Maxijet)" to quote the web site I bought it from.

Very quiet and quite reasonable price. I also use Rena air pumps which are reasonably quiet as long as the casing doesn't come into contact with anything.

I have also heard that Interpet AirVOLUTION Air Pumps are quiet, as are the Tetratec Whisper Air Pumps, however I haven't used either of these brands so I can't comment.

Apparently suspending the pump from elastic bands/bungee cords can help to reduce any noise as the pump's vibration is isolated from anything else.

HTH, Eddie

I have a Whisper air pump, the one rated up to 60 gallons, with the double output, it's quiet as all get out. i place it behind my stand on the carpet with nothing touching it. The carpet makes it a little bit quieter still.

- kip

I have that same airpump as that skiltrip is talking about. Its loud as hell. I wrapped it in bubble wrap with a few rubber bands holding the wrap on and you can't hear it now :) :) :)

maybe mine will get louder with time. in any case, no one should be buying new ones cause it's a TETRA product. go with something else!

- kip

skiltrip said:
maybe mine will get louder with time. in any case, no one should be buying new ones cause it's a TETRA product. go with something else!

- kip
I have a confession to make. I have bought Tetra! It was only an accident, it was the airpump the lfs reccomended. It's pretty quiet. I have it in my 5.5 gallon right now... please forgive me?

I bought my Tetratec air pump before that lady went on the morning show. And I gotta tell you, I'm really happy with it. :wub: It's a very nice air pump that has a rubber bottom so there virtually no vibration and noise.

please don't burn me at the stake,
Valerie :*)

Yeah i got mine used with a 100 gal i had awhile back. Crappiest air pump i ever have owned.

the thing about air pumps is that they vibrate so if there up against somthing they make a load noise i got one but to muffle the sound i but tissue under the legs of the pump

I have touched on a bad thing hear there I was going to buy the tetra air pump but now Im not sure, I think I will wait a little while.

If any one has any other ideas please tell ........!!!!!!

My RenaAir 300 is very quiet. I have it sitting on a shelf on my wooden stand with nothing under it and it is quiet. You would prob. want a 400 depending on the size of the tank. Mine is a 46 gallon.

ive got 2 rena 200's and theyre great....really quiet........whats wrong with buying tetra products.........and impur....why u got a tetra boycott thingy???

has somethijn happened or they done somethin bad?

Tek :fish:

August PFK

They recently did a product survey and for a quite pump they recomend

Interpet AirVolution or Rena Air

hth :)

Thanks wetwetwet I did read that issue, I did not like the idea of buying interpet because the last air pump was a interpet but my local fish shop set one up for me and guess what I bought 3.

If any one has any good ideal to make it silent that would be nice.........!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back