What Is The Most Fragile Tropical Fish

I think the thing with guppies is that not enough people are willing to give them the right conditions the same goes with mollies, they need brackish water at least some of the time without it they are bound to be weak.

I can't keep German rams alive - they live for about a month or 2 and then thats it. Wouldn't touch another one.

Of all of the fish I have ever kept, firemouth cichlids die when kept in my aquariums. I don't know why, but I can't keep them alive, and I will not have to, I won't keep them again :)

I can't think of any particularly fragile fish that I've had, but I once had an Elephant Nose Fish (from Walmart, no less) that was by far my favourite fish, he would acknowledge my presence by swimming excitedly at the front of the tank, and he fed well (even came to the surface) on bloodworms. Unfotunately, when we went on vacation, my parents kept telling me to "make the instructions simpler" for the caretaker, and so I eventually just said, "oh to hell with it, I'll just say to give them flakes." He died while we were gone. I don't blame the caretaker, as he seemed to do his job well (he even replaced a burnt out light bulb on one of the tanks) but I have never forgiven my parents for telling me to "keep it simple", because the caretaker was probably perfectly capable of following my original instructions. :grr:

For a fragile fish, I think that Freshwater Pipefish are supposed to be incredibly difficult to keep.

-Lynden

I think the thing with guppies is that not enough people are willing to give them the right conditions the same goes with mollies, they need brackish water at least some of the time without it they are bound to be weak.

Guppys dont at all, but yes mollies do and this is never said at the lfs :/ .
I think the problem with me having guppys is that they require medium to hard and alkiline water. I have soft acidic water, whci is great for my tetras(who spawn alot in it) but not for the guppys.

fire eel.superb fish,i fell in love with him and he was always sick.the found him decaying whilst alive,behind my filter.

Believe it or not. Zebra danios! Arg! I lost over half of them in a 1-2 mpnth period, and all of them within 3 months. I only have 2 left of the original...I don't know, probably around 12.

Believe it or not. Zebra danios! Arg! I lost over half of them in a 1-2 mpnth period, and all of them within 3 months. I only have 2 left of the original...I don't know, probably around 12.
Wtf? Really?! Are you sure your water is ok because i've had one lone zebra danio for around three years who had survived jumping out the tank and being found like 10 mins later, white spot epedemic and there was a big thing when the water company added some new chemical to our water and alot of my fish died. He's gone now but three years aint too shabby for fish we got from petsmart(he had finrot at the time)kept without company of his own kind for a while and survived very unsuitable tankmates and conditions.

Wtf? Really?! Are you sure your water is ok because i've had one lone zebra danio for around three years who had survived jumping out the tank and being found like 10 mins later, white spot epedemic and there was a big thing when the water company added some new chemical to our water and alot of my fish died. He's gone now but three years aint too shabby for fish we got from petsmart(he had finrot at the time)kept without company of his own kind for a while and survived very unsuitable tankmates and conditions.

Same here, zebra and leopard danios are pretty hardy fish types (as well as pearl danio's too in my experience of them). They are not imune to desease by any means, but can cope well with most fish deseases out there as well as a variety of water quality/type conditions. Such danio types are some of the hardiest and most available fish out there.

However, if Nadajdui had them in a cycling tank, of they died of deseases which weren't treated, or he simply got a very poor batch of them at his local fish store, or just generally kept them in unsuitable conditions, that could explain the deaths.

I have had trouble with guppies and Dwarf Gouramis, Guppies did well for a while till the Water company "cleaned the pipes" and RUINED my pH levels.

Dwarf gouramis just die..... I am really unlucky in that if I have say two mollies and then two weeks later buy another two to add to the tank the first two die. it has happened with all types of fish mind you. my water quailty has always been good, I test regularly before adding fish etc. having said that who knows what the water company do?!?!?

I have one lone guppy guy left, but if I get him a couple of girlfriends you can bet he will leave this mortal coil!

I have had trouble with guppies and Dwarf Gouramis, Guppies did well for a while till the Water company "cleaned the pipes" and RUINED my pH levels.

Dwarf gouramis just die..... I am really unlucky in that if I have say two mollies and then two weeks later buy another two to add to the tank the first two die. it has happened with all types of fish mind you. my water quailty has always been good, I test regularly before adding fish etc. having said that who knows what the water company do?!?!?

I have one lone guppy guy left, but if I get him a couple of girlfriends you can bet he will leave this mortal coil!

Ah yes now i remember, thats what happend to me too-the water company never added a new chemical(they did, but that didnt affect the fish).
Dwarf Gouramis just die with me too. You dont happen to live in Edinburgh do you? Maybe dwarf gouramis are just really bad up here :rolleyes: .

Most reactions

Back